VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Gaf Score 55

Rate this question

Papa

Question

Maybe someone can clear domething up for me that even an old country boy can understand. I received a GAF score of 55 and was given 30%. I keep reading on Hadit that if you are working you will get less!! Whats the difference? If you got a GAF score of 55, should you not get the same rating whether one is working or not? It is still 55. I was wondering if the VA gives different ratings for Veterans who have lost a leg that works vs a Veteran who does not work. I understand that there are a lot of variables, but it does not seem fair.

Papa

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

GAF scores don't mean squat (imho). Especially just one GAF score. It's a mere snapshot of how you are doing at one specific point in time. The VA (or any doc) should assign a GAF score at each visit and then average them out over a period of time for a real picture.

Too much emphasis is being placed on these scores. The real emphasis needs to be placed on the hard evidence in your medical records.

Sorry....but I feel like a broken record on the issue of GAF scores.

Have been seeing VA haha for 2 years now,

1st gaf=39 lasted 4 months.

2nd gaf=40 lasted 1 year.

3rd gaf=35 going 2 months.

I have to agree with purple, now that I am beginning to understand this process.

microism, is the new word in question? Microism allow hahas' a semi-accurate picture of your overall cognitive functioning level... Wish I knew how it worked, guess that is why they are the experts in the world of hahaha....mark B)

GAF scores don't mean squat (imho). Especially just one GAF score. It's a mere snapshot of how you are doing at one specific point in time. The VA (or any doc) should assign a GAF score at each visit and then average them out over a period of time for a real picture.

Too much emphasis is being placed on these scores. The real emphasis needs to be placed on the hard evidence in your medical records.

Sorry....but I feel like a broken record on the issue of GAF scores.

§ 4.126 Evaluation of disability from mental disorders.

(a) When evaluating a mental disorder, the rating agency shall consider the frequency, severity, and duration of psychiatric symptoms, the length of remissions, and the veteran's capacity for adjustment during periods of remission. The rating agency shall assign an evaluation based on all the evidence of record that bears on occupational and social impairment rather than solely on the examiner's assessment of the level of disability at the moment of the examination.

(B) When evaluating the level of disability from a mental disorder, the rating agency will consider the extent of social impairment, but shall not assign an evaluation solely on the basis of social impairment.

© Delirium, dementia, and amnestic and other cognitive disorders shall be evaluated under the general rating formula for mental disorders; neurologic deficits or other impairments stemming from the same etiology (e.g., a head injury) shall be evaluated separately and combined with the evaluation for delirium, dementia, or amnestic or other cognitive disorder (see §4.25).

(d) When a single disability has been diagnosed both as a physical condition and as a mental disorder, the rating agency shall evaluate it using a diagnostic code which represents the dominant (more disabling) aspect of the condition (see §4.14).

• HadIt.com Elder

I know a Veteran who ordered an expensive IMO cause he got a 49 GAF cause his lame ass VSO said a 49 was not good enough. It not only cost the Vet money it cost him time cause he got 100% even with the 49 GAF cause the Doc would not change it.

The GAF is only a part of the evaluation and I am afraid that to many here are putting entirely to much into what their GAF is instead of proving up their case

Most Docs will not deliberately take on another Doc something that is often forgotten

• HadIt.com Elder

Alex Humpfrey was a wizzard and I bet he culled more cases than many think. He was hardcore and I still miss him. I am not up to taking his email out of my contact list I just can't do it.