VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Inidividual Unemployability Iu Help

Rate this question

jack81mm

Question

Bear wid me plz,

Im at crossroads on wether to file for IU or other claims like Migraines and Vertigo that I feel are present because of diagonesed TBI.

Im also 70% PTSD n total 80%. DO not work. Cant work because of these conditions. VA pscyh DRS have written letters stating that I cant work and clinically why I cant work.

Ive been advise by VA n legion rep to submit claim for IU and have the proof from the VA DR wid the letter. I havin trouble in my mind on pursin anything that says that I cant work like IU. I have no intentions of obtainin work at this point as I know I cant do it cause of said conditions. Hopefully it will git better in the future. I figured that pursuing claims wqid other conditions I have might git me to 100%. I hat to be labeled wid anythin that say unemployable.

I also havent filed for SSDI as Im havin the same problems within my mind wid pursing it.

Migraines @50% and Vertigo @30% along wid 80% total will not git me to 100% so maybe filin for IU might be the best bet.

any opinions...

THX to alll thatst serve

JACK

• Answers 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/disabilityre...etailedinfo.htm

<A name=TWP>Trial Work Period

SSDI -- The trial work period allows you to test your ability to work for at least 9 months. During your trial work period, you will receive your full disability benefit regardless of how much you earn as long as your work activity has been reported and you continue to have a disabling impairment. The 9 months does not need to be consecutive and your trial work period will last until you accumulate 9 months within a rolling 60-month period. Certain other rules apply.

Extended Period of Eligibility

SSDI -- If your disability benefits stop after successfully completing the trial work period because you worked at the substantial gainful activity (SGA) level, we can automatically reinstate your benefits without a new application for any months in which your earnings drop below the SGA level. This reinstatement period lasts for 36 consecutive months following the end of the trial work period. You must continue to have a disabling impairment in addition to having earnings below the SGA level for that month.

I been through ALL OF THIS. I started working, used up my trial period, and then about two years later left my job due to my mental illness. I then went down to SSD and they started my benefits back up AUTOMATICALLY. No exams, NADA......I'm coming from my own experience on this. This isn't a BLANKET STATEMENT unless you're saying the Social SEcurity website is a BLANKET website.

frank

wholesale,

Of course he should get SSA benefits if he can't work, I don't think anyone would have any argument with that at all.

The "big deal" is your blanket statement's,

1) "aNDHE CAN WORK EVEN IF GETTING ssd. sPECIFICLLY, HE CAN WORK 9 MONTHS MAKING AS MUCH MONEY AS HE CAN WITHOUT OFFSET."

2) "It's not a risk, it's a regulation. It's called 9-month trial work period."

This is specifically stating that the disabled can go work for 9 months, get paid

$10,000 or more a month and not be taking a big damned risk.

If you would like to do so - I wish you the best of luck

BUT............

I do not want our member's led astray thinking this will not cause

them any grief down the road because it damned well will.

The 9 month's is a trial work program as you stated.

SSA implements an unwritten policy that if the 100% fully disabled person

becomes able enough to work for 9 continuous months -

if they have not incurred any additional disability, there WILL be a full audit

for re-evaluation purposes.

The program is in place to get us off their friggin payroll.

carlie

Edited by WHOLESALE

Wholesale,

I am not going to keep batting this back and forth.

I will simply REPEAT THE POOR ADVISE YOU ARE PUTTING OUT TO MEMBER'S,

and all those receiving SSA Disability benefits.

Hey - all you people out there collecting SSA Disability benefits.

If you go sign up for SSA's 9 month trial work program and get yourself

a job and make a ton of money -- guess what, if this job doesn't work

out for you -- you will continue getting all of your SSA benefits and have

absolutely no repercussions - no break in benefits - no questions asked -

no re-examination - no worries.

And to think all this time we've been concerned with petty things like

income property - paper routes and vending machine businesses.

Just trot on down to SSA and sign up for the program.

Please, please,please, anyone on SSA - do not believe this bunk,

as it truly is not nearly as risk-free as stated.

jmho,

carlie

• HadIt.com Elder

Airborne:

I apologize. I should have never included you with Wholesale. You made a casual remark that I just did not agree with and I do not consider you a problem.

Hadit Members:

To be clear what I consider a problem is Wholesale making wise ass remarks and giving bad advice to Members. I also consider some of the questions that he asks to be out of line.

I have tried to work with him but either he is dense and does not get it or he is one of the disruptor's we have endured under other SN's.

I am warning the Board that before you take anyone's advise on something as your claim or Social Security you had best keep in mind that it can affect you.

By the way a SSD trial work period can be an indication to the VA that you can work. If there is anything that is clear is if you can work in most cases it is preferable to being on disability.

My comment was not aimed at you Airborne I thought that I had separated it from Wholesale but not well enough

I also apologize to Hadit as I guess that my last three or four months have caught up to me and I am frustrated and angry. I know I hate it when my frustration in life and on this Board with one or two people who appear to me to be clueless has made me do some dumb things on this Board.

I especially apologize to TBird and the other Moderators. Also to the Members cause lack of sleep, depression, irritability and poor judgment may have had an adverse impact here.

Wholesale I hope that Tbird bounces you but I am not in the proper frame of mind to be fair. I suggest that if you want to stay here that you apologize and make a plan to be a better member.

My last comment on this issue is that many who are fighting there claim are here because it has been terribly hard and difficult and that encouragement and consideration can be as important as knowledge. If you read Hadit as a new member the stars do come out. We have some here who have unselfishly helped with good advice for many years. It does not mean that they are always right either.

I am not leaving or doing anything but I think I will stand down till I can talk to some of the people who I respect on Hadit and to Tbird.

I just cannot understand why there are always a few people who just like to xxxx with Veterans who are only trying to secure earned benefits.

August has always been a bad month for me

Guest terrysturgis

Jack, back to your original post, it is up to you to decide if the time has come to file for TDIU or SSD. I am on both and do not really like it but it's how my family is surviving.

Point I would like to make is for you to realize the time frame you are dealing with. In my case TDIU took a year and a half and SSD over two years.

Also, Jim Stritland on the VA Watchdog site recommends TDIU over 100% schedular. He says TDIU is easier to protect against a review.

Take care, Terry

• HadIt.com Elder

If VA claims were slam/dunks there would be no Hadit. When you are experimenting with your ability to pay your bills I would proceed cautiously. I have IU and SSD. If I went to work earning 10,000 a month for 9 months and then quit do you think the VA would look kindly on that? If I could make 10,000 a month why would I need to be on SSD or IU? Let's get real. Most of us spent months or years in the wilderness waiting for our SSD or IU/100%. I lost 20 pounds just waiting five months. I don't want to go through that again for any reason.

I'm not saying DO IT. I'm just saying that it is a benefit if you find you're able to go back to work and want to go back to work. Anyone that is on SSD can go back to work if they so choose. Ultimately, it's up to the claimant on how they pursue this. Would you rather people on here to NOT KNOW what's in the rules and benefits if they so choose to work? I really don't understand your rationale on this.

You're really making this a lot more complicated than it is and blowing it out of proportion.

Hey, any of you that have SSD or want SSD you are ultimately the one that will choose your destiny on this. I just have said that I've been through this process and it worked for me. Again, it's ultimately your choice.

This "GANGING UP" on someone posting a SSD rule and their own experience is really childish.

I'm done with this subject. It's become an adolescent game.

frank

te53' post='160252' date='Aug 14 2009, 03:07 AM']Airborne:

I apologize. I should have never included you with Wholesale. You made a casual remark that I just did not agree with and I do not consider you a problem.

Hadit Members:

To be clear what I consider a problem is Wholesale making wise ass remarks and giving bad advice to Members. I also consider some of the questions that he asks to be out of line.

I have tried to work with him but either he is dense and does not get it or he is one of the disruptor's we have endured under other SN's.

I am warning the Board that before you take anyone's advise on something as your claim or Social Security you had best keep in mind that it can affect you.

By the way a SSD trial work period can be an indication to the VA that you can work. If there is anything that is clear is if you can work in most cases it is preferable to being on disability.

My comment was not aimed at you Airborne I thought that I had separated it from Wholesale but not well enough

I also apologize to Hadit as I guess that my last three or four months have caught up to me and I am frustrated and angry. I know I hate it when my frustration in life and on this Board with one or two people who appear to me to be clueless has made me do some dumb things on this Board.

I especially apologize to TBird and the other Moderators. Also to the Members cause lack of sleep, depression, irritability and poor judgment may have had an adverse impact here.

Wholesale I hope that Tbird bounces you but I am not in the proper frame of mind to be fair. I suggest that if you want to stay here that you apologize and make a plan to be a better member.

My last comment on this issue is that many who are fighting there claim are here because it has been terribly hard and difficult and that encouragement and consideration can be as important as knowledge. If you read Hadit as a new member the stars do come out. We have some here who have unselfishly helped with good advice for many years. It does not mean that they are always right either.

I am not leaving or doing anything but I think I will stand down till I can talk to some of the people who I respect on Hadit and to Tbird.

I just cannot understand why there are always a few people who just like to xxxx with Veterans who are only trying to secure earned benefits.

August has always been a bad month for me

Edited by WHOLESALE