VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Women's Health/wellness Program At Dayton Vamc

Rate this topic

FYI...Don't know if other VAMCs have done this for vets (men or women); however I attended a program yesterday at the Dayton VAMC for women vets that focused on proper nutrition and exercise. We were all weighed, our BMI was properly calculated and our individual daily caloric needs were given to us.

We were each given pedometers and exercise bands (very nice ones!) and given exercises to do. We have food diaries to keep for 30 days. We meet again in 30 days to check on progress.

I'm impressed with the program and think it's a step in the right direction.

.....then again, I'm going to loose about 5lbs just this week getting ready for my colonoscopy....ugh....

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Durham VAMC has a healthy vet program. The support group is great. If you can't make the meetings the minutes are on the internet.

The Durham VAMC has a healthy vet program. The support group is great. If you can't make the meetings the minutes are on the internet.

Hi Sharon,

Would you happen to know when and where the meetings are held? I tried to get the information from the internet and wasn't able to locate it. Thanks

Carlie,

Neither. The "move" program is separate. This is something just for women vets that the nutrition folks said they were able to get a special grant to do. They sent out fliers to all of the women vets to advertise the program.

Good thing the food diaries don't begin until tomorrow because today was my b-day and my son's took me out to eat!

• HadIt.com Elder

They have the Move program at Miami vamc. I was going to do it, but chickened out. Trying to do ti on my own. Lost 10lb. so far in about two mos.. I just hate calorie counting. I have been using this product called Super Seed. Its a proboiotic formula with flax seed and chia seed and other healthy in gredients and is basically fiber and protein. One scoop is about 80 calories, mixed with water. Along with that and maybe a fruit smoothie with yogurt, 12 oz glass. That has been my lunch and actually seems to curb my appetite in the evening. Also been excercising and working on the core excercise program. Seem like it is starting to work.

t&b