VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Peb/meb Versus Retirement

Rate this question

rmiller2094

Question

Can somebody tell me which is the better route to go; I have 22 years of active duty service with consider medical issues, do I retire or go through the MEB/PEB process?

can you get both PEB check and concurrent receipt?

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

PEB/MEB is a pain in the butt, but depending on your conditions you might well be better off going that route.

I would want a (qualified) lawyer to handle my case. I didn't use one and I know I got messed over, but I had less than 20 years and wanted to stay in.

OR... You can go PEB/MEB and see what they offer you, and just go with the process (no lawyer). They could offer you 60-75% retirement, but if they don't you will never get less than full credit for your 22 years.

Yes, you will collect the retirement amount they offer you from the PEB and VA compensation (concurrent receipt). There is an offset to account for the taxable and non-taxable portions and everyone is different, but you will be much better off financially with the bean-counters' offset than you would be without concurrent receipt. (this isn't the same offset as the full deduction from retirement pay of VA compensation. No matter what you do, with 22 years AD you get concurrent receipt.)

Good luck to you.

My husband retired over 20 on a medical. My opinion only, but I believe you have a greater chance of getting a decent VA rating if the disability you're claiming was serious enough to bring about your medical retirement.

There used to be some tax advantages too, but my husband retired in 1993, and I understand the rules changed. Consider the PEB/MEB process the pre-game show for your future dealings with the VA.

My husband receives his VA disability comp, as well as his military retirement check, 40% of which is not taxable (his disability percentage awarded from the PEB/MEB process).

Whatever you do, get copies of your service medical records before you leave.

I am going through my IPEB right now. My MEB was completed with an unfit for duty determination. My commander wrote a letter stating that I am a burden to the unit because I could not deploy. I am at 22 years myself. I cannot retire until the IPEB is completed and if they find me unfit for continuing service I will have 90 days to get out. What a great end to a 22 year career. My MEB is for Diabetes Type II with insulin use. I would love to see what the Air Force will rate me. I mean if it ain't more than 65% then they can keep it. I will take my retirement.

its ur decision..noone else...and ur the only one the cares the most bout ur business...keep that in mind....do ur homework...and u dont have option of the 2 or any word in goin to meb...if they say u r goin to meb u r going...

every opinion posted before mine is accurate

tell us ur situation

jack

quote name='rmiller2094' date='Aug 18 2009, 01:08 PM' post='160920']

Can somebody tell me which is the better route to go; I have 22 years of active duty service with consider medical issues, do I retire or go through the MEB/PEB process?

can you get both PEB check and concurrent receipt?

Jack,

I am being seen this weekend for a fit for duty evaluation on the following medical conditions:

1. Partial compression fracture at T6,T7 and T8 to T10 as well as a broad-based disc protrusion at the T7-T8 level without spinal stenosis or cord compression although there was anterior impingement. This causes me to have numness in both shourlders down to my elbows and extreme pain between my should blades down to my lower back all the time.

2. Disc space narrowing at the L4-L5 level which causes low back pain and spasmes. This only happens once every other month.

3. Total Right Knee Replacement done with a second surgeory to exchange the polyethylene hoping to fix the instability issues. This did not work and still have pain and instability issues with bylateral issues with left knee pain.

4. Major Depression - have been diagnosed with major medical depression because of the chronic pain disorder and firbromyalgia.

5. Migraines - I have at least one per month if not two.

Some of the VA personel I've talked to and they said that if I don't get rated at 100 % that I should'nt have any problem of getting 100% unemployabilty.

Let me know what you think still about weither I should do MEB/PEB or Retire?

Thanks