VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Did Give The Wrong Answer?

Rate this question

billy2

Question

I had a C&P today for IU and it lasted about one hour and 45 minutes. We reviewed all the physical things that I have wrong with me. She went over the diabetes and peripheral neouopathy which I am service connected for. We then went over my CAD,Hypertension, and COPD which are not service connected right now. We reviewed what I could do physically. I said I could't stand for long periods of timebecause of the PN. I also said I can't lift anything over 25 lbs and I also stated that can't use a snowblower and similar tasks like that. She said who said you can't lift over 25 and use a snowblower and I said my heart doctor, who she also goes to. So we finally got past the physical part of working it got a little tricky.

Okay you can't do physical labor but what would stop you from doing office work? Can you physically do office work? I said that I guess that I could physically do office work. BUT mentally I can't do office work because of my issues that I have that are related to PTSD. The lady then said that she is only concerned with the physical aspects of working. She said that I will be able to bring that up next week when I have a C&P for PTSD. I hope that they wait for a decision on IU until I have my C&P for PTSD.

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I hope that they wait for a decision on IU until I have my C&P for PTSD.

I feel it would be best for VBA to NOT make a decision on IU

until after your C&P for PTSD. After all you stated your PTSD

would have a negative effect on your doing office work so why

in the world wouldn't you want that considered in your claim for IU.

carlie

• HadIt.com Elder

Billy2,

Good that you wrote your notes here for comment. Try my best to keep my own exam notes too. Your comments remind me of my c&p for iu last month for general medical conditions, I mentioned mh many times but report doesnt show that. Maybe its standard procedure and not on their list. Still praying for correct decision on your claim and mine.

Question. do you have claim in for the CAD, hypertension and COPD? If so, did you tell the doc that? or that you were submitting a claim for those? Also, do you get SSDI already as well?

All the best to ya and hang in there, Fridays coming!!

Cowigrl'up2009!

I had a C&P today for IU and it lasted about one hour and 45 minutes. We reviewed all the physical things that I have wrong with me. She went over the diabetes and peripheral neouopathy which I am service connected for. We then went over my CAD,Hypertension, and COPD which are not service connected right now. We reviewed what I could do physically. I said I could't stand for long periods of timebecause of the PN. I also said I can't lift anything over 25 lbs and I also stated that can't use a snowblower and similar tasks like that. She said who said you can't lift over 25 and use a snowblower and I said my heart doctor, who she also goes to. So we finally got past the physical part of working it got a little tricky.

Okay you can't do physical labor but what would stop you from doing office work? Can you physically do office work? I said that I guess that I could physically do office work. BUT mentally I can't do office work because of my issues that I have that are related to PTSD. The lady then said that she is only concerned with the physical aspects of working. She said that I will be able to bring that up next week when I have a C&P for PTSD. I hope that they wait for a decision on IU until I have my C&P for PTSD.

• HadIt.com Elder

You were honest. Thats a good thing. She was telling you that your PTSD C&P will be the deciding factor. Don;t worry

• HadIt.com Elder

Billy2, sure sounds like you did fine. Examiners are different but the basic exam should be the same. In my case for IU the exams have been for physical sc conditions and PTSD.

Anythings possible especially with all the rain lately,

best to ya!

Cg'up2009!

Edited by cowgirl

Cowgirl,

I had a claim for CAD and hypertension as secondary to DM2 and it was rejected. My heart Dr. didn't want to write a nexus letter for me. He had no problem charging $48,000 for the stint that was put in. If or when I get the claim for PTSD approved I may file for those two things as secondary to PTSD. As far as the COPD, which is mild, I don't see a nexus for that. Today the C&P person told me I had flat feet and and a mild case of varicose vains. She also said that I see by your records that you drank quite a bit. The lady at the mental health department that I deal with for meds was really into the drinking part of my history. Its a long process dealing with the VA and very frustrating and I sometimes feel that I was better off before I was told that I suffered from PTSD. I knew I had issues but I didn't realize that it was this bad.

Bill

During a C and P exam that I had years ago the examiner asked If physically I could do a job or light work as he called it... I stated NO because of 1. The meds that I was on have physical side effects and 2. because of the mental condition (PTSD, Panic attacks, and depression) I don't physically get enough sleep. This was an acceptable answer to the examiner who didnt want to hear mental reasons but, to get a complete picture it has to be included in it. Not enough sleep and medical or physical side effects from medicines all effect examiners answers to those type of questions. Sure they dont want to put that stuff in there but, when you put it like that they have to... Also I made sure that he wrote it down and not just nod in agreement with me as he turned the page. I'm also going to add if you've gotten your SSD yet before all this, its always good to bring them a copy of it with you along with the medical records you want to show them. Examiners like those kind of records because they can copy from them without having to do as much work because its already been done by someone else... When I say SSD records I dont just mean the award letter but, also the medical records that they determined your award. Example: The doctor that awarded me was in the first stage of getting SSD called Disability Determinations. All claims go to that office first before, to see if they need to be adjudicated by a hearing, if no hearing is needed then you get SSD in a shorter amount of time. Also If they did say that your PTSD was going to be the deciding factor your going to do fine. :rolleyes: