VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hearing Loss/hearing Aids

Rate this question

Rhodesia

Question

I have a question and I need to know how to proceed to file for service conected for hearing loss now I have Hearing Aids issued by the VA. My Question is I was turned down by the VA for service connected hearing loss even having spent 22 years in the marines as a Tank Crewman. My C&P exam stated that I was 1 decibel Off during my exam in order to be service conected for bi-laderal hearing loss. C&P has noted that and is stated in my letter that they (C&P) does state I do have hearing loss due to military service. So I had my outpatient VA Doctor give me a consult for another hearing exam which I did see a ear, nose and throat Doctor at the VA and from reading the C&P notes he issued me hearing aids bi-laderal. So now I'm wearing hearing aids issued to me by the VA now my big question is how do I proceed to file a claim due to having hearing aids from the VA? kind of strange because the VA turns you down for hearing loss but yet the VA issued me hearing aids for hearing loss Go Figure!!!!!!

Any Help on what to write and send up with the claim? thank you.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

So now I'm wearing hearing aids issued to me by the VA now my big question is how do I proceed to file a claim due to having hearing aids from the VA? kind of strange because the VA turns you down for hearing loss but yet the VA issued me hearing aids for hearing loss Go Figure!!!!!!

Just because VA RX's hearing aids won't make your claim get granted even at zero percent.

The C&P examiner and/or IME, (for hearing loss it must be an Audiologist) will have to state

your hearing loss is as likely as not due to XXX on active duty.

jmho,

carlie

Just because VA RX's hearing aids won't make your claim get granted even at zero percent.

The C&P examiner and/or IME, (for hearing loss it must be an Audiologist) will have to state

your hearing loss is as likely as not due to XXX on active duty.

jmho,

carlie

Yes the audiologist from the VA and the outside (non VA) Audiologist both have stated I have hearing loss and received hearing aids, and both recommened that my hearing loss was due to military service, as for the C&P exam my hearing loss was 1 decibel from being a service connected per my letter. The letter from C&P also states they acknowledge both audiologist's findings for hearing loss but the VA's exam is some what different. The VA told me they are making it harder to file a hearing loss claim weather or not you were on active duty or not.

so am I just spining my wheels here?

I have a question and I need to know how to proceed to file for service conected for hearing loss now I have Hearing Aids issued by the VA. My Question is I was turned down by the VA for service connected hearing loss even having spent 22 years in the marines as a Tank Crewman. My C&P exam stated that I was 1 decibel Off during my exam in order to be service conected for bi-laderal hearing loss. C&P has noted that and is stated in my letter that they (C&P) does state I do have hearing loss due to military service. So I had my outpatient VA Doctor give me a consult for another hearing exam which I did see a ear, nose and throat Doctor at the VA and from reading the C&P notes he issued me hearing aids bi-laderal. So now I'm wearing hearing aids issued to me by the VA now my big question is how do I proceed to file a claim due to having hearing aids from the VA? kind of strange because the VA turns you down for hearing loss but yet the VA issued me hearing aids for hearing loss Go Figure!!!!!!

All I can tell you is I have 0% high frequency hearing loss which obviously doesn't pay any thing but it is a SC disability and would allow for paid hearing assistance. But to the point, I was told by the Winston-Salem DAV Office Supervisor that to get above 0% the chart the VA uses you really have to be profoundly impaired. So you may want to consider that or dig up the chart and compare it to what your hearing exam revealed. That would tell you what you have earned or might expect for the forth coming battle with the VA.

I was in Field Artillery for 6.5 years and I know the toll it takes but as I stated above, it is a particulary hard one to win. Why they won't allow 0 is beyond me other than all things VA are arbitrary.

Yes the audiologist from the VA and the outside (non VA) Audiologist both have stated I have hearing loss and received hearing aids, and both recommened that my hearing loss was due to military service, as for the C&P exam my hearing loss was 1 decibel from being a service connected per my letter. The letter from C&P also states they acknowledge both audiologist's findings for hearing loss but the VA's exam is some what different. The VA told me they are making it harder to file a hearing loss claim weather or not you were on active duty or not.

so am I just spining my wheels here?

Rhodesia,

VBA granting service connection (SC) for hearing loss does not factor in decibels

of loss - only that there is SOME Current loss.

VBA uses the decibel loss as ONE factor when deciding the PERCENTAGE of

SC granted. They are also to consider Speech Recognition Scores.

I feel the majority of Hearing loss claims are granted at zero percent.

If you feel inclined,you can file a NOD on the denial of SC for your hearing loss

as it is supported and related to active duty on your medical records and C&P.

It sounds to me like it should be granted SC'd at zero percent.

jmho,

carlie

I was in the arty for 4 years and have my 10% tinitus and 0% s/c bi-lat hearing loss. Over 10 years ago, they said I hear about the same level as a hearing aid would provide so they wouldn't do me any good.

Since then, my hearing has gotten worse and hearing aids have gotten better and now they're telling me that I hear about the same level as a hearing aid would provide so they wouldn't do me any good. Only now they take it a step further and tell me they might actually harm my hearing. :D They did allow there were some new, high tech and very expensive models that might help but they were not available to VA. As I recall, they told me that a decade and more ago to.

So the faces change but the bs goes on.