VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Mst / Ptsd Covered Up - 2 Years Into Claims Process

Rate this question

MSTANDFEDUP

Question

I will try to make this as straight to the point as possible without triggering.

I have been patient and have waited over two years up until now without making a fus.

I've HAD IT. My case should be very cut and dry as I have a pile a mile high of evidence

to support my claim, however the VA denied.

(Air Force) In 2004 I was sexually harassed by my supervisor. The Military Equal Opportunity office

got involved and opened a case against him. After a one month investigation, he was

CHARGED with 4 counts of sexual harassment and one count of discrimination. He was then

DEMOTED in rank.

I then seperated from the military. Honerable Discharge.

Within 6 months, I went into severe mental stress, psychosis of the mind, due to trauma.

I checked myself into a mental health hospital and was there for 2 weeks. I had stopped

sleeping, had anxiety, flashbacks, was replaying the events again and again, the list goes

on and on.

Over the past 5 years, since the 2004 events, I've been homeless twice, I've been

unable to acquire gainful employment, I've been in and out of mental health and have

since finally in 2008!!!! received access to the VA for MST/PTSD mental health care (4 years

too late). Here is the series of events, and I swear that once I am finished with my claim

I will spend the rest of my life helping women and men who suffer from MST with their VA

claims. I am so upset at this point, today I am triggering all over the place and I'm finally

speaking up.

From 2003-2004 in active duty I was repeatedly harassed, threatened, the list goes on

and I don't want to get into personal details here about the assault by my supervisor.

I discharged in 2004, honerable

In 2005 I contacted the MEO office that held the MEO investigation into the harassment

and requested my documents per the FOIA (Freedom of Information Act). I have a copy

of this letter sent to them. In 2007 I received a letter back, stating the documents had been

destroyed. This was two years too late. I requested in 2005!!!! The letter told me to contact

the Secretary of Department of Defense and that under a 2 year clause the documents were to

be destroyed. I have a copy of this letter and have sent it to my claim file with the VA in 2007.

I also have a copy of the orginal claim statement from MEO during the investigation, I sent this

to the VA in 2007. (made copies at the time of the investigation, which goes over the harassment in detail,

times/dates/places, MEO investigated numerous other people who also confirmed the harassment before he was

charged with the crimes and demoted). I sent a copy of the investigation paperwork into

the VA when I opened my claim for PTSD/MST in 2007.

I spent 2005 until today in and out of mental health hospitals, clinics, etc. all of this documentation

has been sent to the va.

THE VA DOCTORS AT THE LOCAL VA CLAIM I HAVE MST/PTSD and rate me at 48% GAF SCORE.

Their own DOCTORS state that I have PTSD from MST.

I opened my VA claim in 2007 and I'm now at 22 months in waiting. It was first denied, and I sent

a notice of disagreement. It is now supposedly being "expedited" due to having ended up homeless

again. While staying at the homeless shelter, I had a fax sent into the VA claims stating that I was

homeless and in this shelter (letterhead from the shelter). This is when they said it would be expedited.

This was the second time I ended up homeless.

Now a few months have gone by and the VA telephone representatives say they have no record

of an original EXPRESS MAILED DOCUMENT that I sent in 2007 which contained 1) the MEO investigation

paperwork I had copies of 2) a letter from the acting commander at the time in which he talks about

the incidents in the letter. They said they have no record of that from 2007. So I then RE-SENT in

EXPRESS mail and registered mail AGAIN, copies of the same documents.

I finally got up the nerve yesterday to call the base where the events happened. As soon as I called

I triggered and began crying. I called the MEO office and asked about the case documents, again

was told there is no record anymore that they were possibly destroyed in 2005. I expressed my

feelings to this office and I'm now officially going to put in a written complaint to the base commander

about how the entire case was handled back in 2004, how fast it was swept under the carpet, and

how I should have immediately been placed into counseling/mental health treatment immediately

after the incidents occured and immediately after the MEO investigation. The investigation into the

harassment was as bad as the harassment itself. It was first turned on me, then after the month

went by, I was given an apology from the Wing Commander about how this sort of thing would

"never happen under his chain of command again". There is a zero tolerance policy alright, it's a zero

tolerance policy for anyone who SPEAKS UP about harassment/rape.

The VA says the claim is being expedited. They said they are now waiting for records from the

National Personnel Archive and Federal Archieve. Well one more ounce of proof is if they pull the

perpetrators personnel record to see he was DEMOTED.

They can destroy records all day, but if I learned anything at all it was make copies of everything.

I have the basic MEO investigation copies from the investigation, the commanders letter from official

govt email address talking about the events, I guess I have to prove a stressor. What else could

I have to prove, HE WAS CHARGED WITH FOUR COUNTS OF SEXUAL HARASSMENT AND ONE COUNT

OF DISCRIMINATION. I suffered through the harassment for one years time, then had to suffer

through the investigation for a month and come home in complete shambles. The VA mental health

doctors claim I have PTSD from MST.

Hello? The VA cannot possibly be this bad with their claims process. I'm at 22 months. I'm fed up

and I'm ready to start speaking out and I can assure these people that the last thing they are going

to want to be out in the news is information regarding how bad my case truly was, and to what extent

it got to. There was a point in 2006 that I began prostituting myself to put food on the table. I gave

up my life, my self esteem was gone, I stopped caring about myself, my life, I almost killed myself

at one point, I was in psychosis of the mind, hiding out in a hotel room afraid to death of anyone in

uniform. I was afraid to even go to the VA for help or anyone else at that point because I was so

mentally stressed and afraid and replaying the events, that I thought someone in uniform would come

hurt me again.

HELLO VA, IF YOU'RE READING THIS, I'm at my limit and I'm close to posting up information for the world

to see about how you, the armed services, and the DOD handles PTSD cases for women and men raped

and abused in the service.

I LOST MY LIFE FOR 5 YEARS!!!

• Answers 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I also had a C & P exam within months of starting my claim in 2007.

During the C & P, the doctor just talked to me like I was a paranoid

case and asked "so who raped you, your commander or your supervisor"

because clearly at the time I could hardly vocalize the events from start

to finish, no less was I making much sense in 2007.

I've gotten a lot better at this point where I can now vocalize (but still

break down crying, or get stressed thinking about the events, etc). The

C & P exam shot back the denial letter. Some of the reasons for denial,

get this....sleep disturbance!!! another reason for denial said that the

"events took place on TDY assignment", there was a long list of denial

reasons. All of them included effects of PTSD. Of course I have sleep

disturbance! The C & P doctor did not seem to care nor speak to me

with concern at all. He treated me like a liar. The reasons for denial

I will post (have to go through paperwork), it was just unreal the reasons

they came up with for denial, including but not limited to having effects

of PTSD.

Denied for PTSD due to anxiety and sleep disturbance. Hello??????

The denial letter triggered me for months and I had to put it away until

I could deal with it again. It's now 2009, I have a feeling I'll be denied

again when the statement of case arrives. They can expect to be contacted

by me for the next 10 years because I'm not letting this go. I wasn't able to

defend myself the first time but I'll be damned if I'm going to go through it

for a third time. 1) the incidents that took place for a year 2) the investigation

and now the claim.

u have come to the right place for guidance and support. i know 5 yrs seems like a life time to u but on the bright side (if there is such a thing with this!), many of us on here took longer than that to rcv help. i personally took 20 yrs. so, ur ahead of the curve! hang in there, stay vigilant/diligent with the VA and most importantly - stand ur ground!!! find that one person at the VA that will help u get thru this. they do exist....

:huh: I am not going to file a claim for myself and PSTD and MST. It happen too long ago I have very little of medical records. I got a hold of my VA medical records the doctors made me look nuts there is shit in there that I never even said. So why drive my self over the edge about it. There is nothing I can do about. They have all the power as I am finding out. Hell I can not even get a Veteran Service Office to call me back, I have been to their Office I don't think they even work they are never there:. Good luck. Edited by carlie

Hello mstandfedup & carl1124,

Are you both getting treatment now? It's important to get proper treatment for a couple of reasons.

You can get an appointment from the VA, and they can consult. you to aVA psychiatrist and/or psychotherapist for some help with any symptoms, while also building more medical evidence.

Have you got a complete copy of your service medical records, VA medical records, and your VA C-File? If not you can request a copy of your SMR's at NPRC:

http://www.archives.gov/index.html

Then your VA MR's can be requested, the below is from VA.gov:

I need a copy of my VA medical records. How can I get them?

Subject: Your VA medical records are maintained at the facility or facilities where you were provided medical care. You will need to contact each facility to personally request a copy of any medical records maintained at that facility. Requests must be in writing and should indicate what records you are requesting, why you are requesting those records, and to whom they are to be released. The addresses for all VA facilirties can be found at http://www.va.gov/directory/guide/home.asp

Page Info: https://iris.va.gov/scripts/iris.cfg/php.ex...d_adp.php?p_faq

You can request your C-File at your VARO ROI (Release of Information Office) as well.

I hope that you both hang in and follow thru and get what you both deserve, treatment and compensation.

BoonDoc

• HadIt.com Elder

Find a lawyer who does VA law. Those guys can find things in your records that you might never even grasp. You should get your personnel records as well. These older MST/PTSD claims that are not combat related need a lot of work. Sledge here was a combat PTSD victim. He did not have combat awards so he was denied over and over. He hired a lawyer and got 100%. You can win these things, but you need help. Some are strong enough to go throuh this process on their own , but many need help especailly with a MST. You need a strong advocate not some half ass VSO. If you don't like what the lawyer says you can file anyway.

I will try to make this as straight to the point as possible without triggering.

I have been patient and have waited over two years up until now without making a fus.

I've HAD IT. My case should be very cut and dry as I have a pile a mile high of evidence

to support my claim, however the VA denied.

MST,

Since you've HAD IT -then your at the right place to get some help, encouragement

and support. I am sorry to say that even when we feel our claims SHOULD BE cut and dry,

truth be told - very few issues concerning VBA, are cut and dry.

You can get quite a bit of guidance here but always double-check everything.

(Air Force) In 2004 I was sexually harassed by my supervisor. The Military Equal Opportunity office

got involved and opened a case against him. After a one month investigation, he was

CHARGED with 4 counts of sexual harassment and one count of discrimination. He was then

DEMOTED in rank.

I then seperated from the military. Honerable Discharge.

Within 6 months, I went into severe mental stress, psychosis of the mind, due to trauma.

I checked myself into a mental health hospital and was there for 2 weeks. I had stopped

sleeping, had anxiety, flashbacks, was replaying the events again and again, the list goes

on and on.

Did you check into a private hospital or VAMC ?

Did you get copies of your records from this admission ?

Did you submit copies of this admission to VBA for your claim ?

Also, was this information listed in the EVIDENCE SECTION and discussed in the

REASONS and BASES SECTION of the Rating Decision that denied your claim for

service connection (SC) of PTSD ?

Over the past 5 years, since the 2004 events, I've been homeless twice, I've been

unable to acquire gainful employment, I've been in and out of mental health and have

since finally in 2008!!!! received access to the VA for MST/PTSD mental health care (4 years

too late).

Do you have any medical evidence from a Psychiatrist, Psychologist, or

licensed Social Worker stating you are unable to secure substantial gainful employment

due solely to your PTSD ?

You may also want to check out and visit one of the Vet Center's in your area,

as they can also provide some help for MST/Sexual Trauma.

They are usually located in a separate place than your VAMC.

Here is a link for locating your closest Vet Center.

http://www.vetcenter.va.gov/

Here is the series of events, and I swear that once I am finished with my claim

I will spend the rest of my life helping women and men who suffer from MST with their VA

claims. I am so upset at this point, today I am triggering all over the place and I'm finally

speaking up.

Venting is a good thing and Hadit.com is a great place to release some

of your frustrations.

From 2003-2004 in active duty I was repeatedly harassed, threatened, the list goes on

and I don't want to get into personal details here about the assault by my supervisor.

I discharged in 2004, honerable

In 2005 I contacted the MEO office that held the MEO investigation into the harassment

and requested my documents per the FOIA (Freedom of Information Act). I have a copy

of this letter sent to them. In 2007 I received a letter back, stating the documents had been

destroyed. This was two years too late. I requested in 2005!!!! The letter told me to contact

the Secretary of Department of Defense and that under a 2 year clause the documents were to

be destroyed. I have a copy of this letter and have sent it to my claim file with the VA in 2007.

I also have a copy of the orginal claim statement from MEO during the investigation, I sent this

to the VA in 2007. (made copies at the time of the investigation, which goes over the harassment in detail,

times/dates/places, MEO investigated numerous other people who also confirmed the harassment before he was

charged with the crimes and demoted). I sent a copy of the investigation paperwork into

the VA when I opened my claim for PTSD/MST in 2007.

I spent 2005 until today in and out of mental health hospitals, clinics, etc. all of this documentation has been sent to the va.

You may want to respond that this information was sent to VA and you

feel this evidence has been spoliated. This is a term (spoliation) we need

to use with VA when our information and evidence, that has been submitted,

but magically can not be found in our c-file, by VBA.

Also, was this information listed in the EVIDENCE SECTION and discussed in the

THE VA DOCTORS AT THE LOCAL VA CLAIM I HAVE MST/PTSD and rate me at 48% GAF SCORE.

Their own DOCTORS state that I have PTSD from MST.

The GAF score can change from day to day and is only one of the items

considered in assigning a percentage of disability.

I opened my VA claim in 2007 and I'm now at 22 months in waiting.

It was first denied, and I sent a notice of disagreement.

Original claim's usually have a Rating Decision promulgated within 12-18 months.

Once a claim moves into the Appeals process (which happened with filing your NOD),

everything grinds to a halt and moves very, very slowly.

The specific VARO you are using also factors into how long something may take

to resolve. Only VBA claimant's have time requirements to fulfill, NOT VBA.

We can probably help you a lot more if you can scan and post your Rating Decision

and NOD directly into the Forum.

If you are able to do this, it is necessary that you redact, omit, mark-out, you'r personal information such as Name, SSA or Service Number, address, etc...

It is now supposedly being "expedited" due to having ended up homeless again.

While staying at the homeless shelter, I had a fax sent into the VA claims stating that I was

homeless and in this shelter (letterhead from the shelter).

This is when they said it would be expedited.

This was the second time I ended up homeless.

Now a few months have gone by and the VA telephone representatives say they have no record

of an original EXPRESS MAILED DOCUMENT that I sent in 2007 which contained

1) the MEO investigation paperwork I had copies of

2) a letter from the acting commander at the time in which he talks about

the incidents in the letter.

They said they have no record of that from 2007. So I then RE-SENT in EXPRESS mail and registered mail AGAIN, copies of the same documents.

Again, you may want to respond that this information was sent to VA and you

feel this evidence has been spoliated. This is a term (spoliation) we need

to use with VA when our information and evidence, that has been submitted,

but magically can not be found in our c-file, by VBA.

I finally got up the nerve yesterday to call the base where the events happened.

As soon as I called I triggered and began crying.

I called the MEO office and asked about the case documents, again was told there is no record anymore that they were possibly destroyed in 2005.

I expressed my feelings to this office and I'm now officially going to put in a written complaint to the base commander about how the entire case was handled back in 2004, how fast it was swept under the carpet, and how I should have immediately been placed into counseling/mental health treatment immediately after the incidents occured and immediately after the MEO investigation.

The investigation into the harassment was as bad as the harassment itself.

It was first turned on me, then after the month went by, I was given an apology from the

Wing Commander about how this sort of thing would "never happen under his chain of command again".

There is a zero tolerance policy alright, it's a zero tolerance policy for anyone who SPEAKS UP about harassment/rape.

Was the apology just verbal or did the Wing Commander give you something in writing ?

If not, do you feel it maybe worth a try to contact the Wing Commander now and ask

him to write a statement regarding the incident's ?

The DOD's and VA's zero tolerance policy is just to try and look good to the public,

in reality it is a bucket of BS.

The VA says the claim is being expedited. They said they are now waiting for records from the

National Personnel Archive and Federal Archieve. Well one more ounce of proof is if they pull the

perpetrators personnel record to see he was DEMOTED.

Has the VBA sent you and/or have you submitted the following form to VBA ?

(Statement in Support - Personal Trauma)

Stmt_Supt__Personal_Trauma_VBA_21_0781a_ARE.pdf

If not that form,then has VBA sent you and have you completed and submitted to VA

a from (I can't find a number on it) titled PTSD Questionnaire ?

They can destroy records all day, but if I learned anything at all it was make copies of everything.

I have the basic MEO investigation copies from the investigation, the commanders letter from official govt email address talking about the events, I guess I have to prove a stressor.

YES - you are going to have to prove the stressor occured and that your diagnosis

of PTSD by competent and probative medical evidence, is as likely as not,

or more likely than not, a direct result of this active duty stressor.

What else could I have to prove, HE WAS CHARGED WITH FOUR COUNTS OF

SEXUAL HARASSMENT AND ONE COUNT OF DISCRIMINATION.

I suffered through the harassment for one years time, then had to suffer through the investigation for a month and come home in complete shambles.

The VA mental health doctors claim I have PTSD from MST.

What - exactly have the mental health doctor's put in writing ?

Was this information listed in the EVIDENCE SECTION and discussed in the

Hello? The VA cannot possibly be this bad with their claims process.

OH - YES - YES - YES they can, that's one of the reason's Hadit.com was started.

I'm at 22 months. I'm fed up and I'm ready to start speaking out and I can assure these people that the last thing they are going to want to be out in the news is information regarding how bad my case truly was, and to what extent it got to.

Been there, done it and didn't even get a tee shirt.

There was a point in 2006 that I began prostituting myself to put food on the table. I gave up my life, my self esteem was gone, I stopped caring about myself, my life, I almost killed myself at one point, I was in psychosis of the mind, hiding out in a hotel room afraid to death of anyone in

uniform. I was afraid to even go to the VA for help or anyone else at that point because I was so

mentally stressed and afraid and replaying the events, that I thought someone in uniform would come hurt me again.

Is any of the above addressed in medical reports and was it submitted to VBA ?

HELLO VA, IF YOU'RE READING THIS, I'm at my limit and I'm close to posting up information for the world to see about how you, the armed services, and the DOD handles PTSD cases for women and men raped and abused in the service.

It is rumored that VA does in some respect read through web sites of this nature - but

we have no proof of it.

Post anything you want about DOD and VA, just keep your name and SSA number out of it.

VA really does not care about what we post, they have plenty

of lawyers to refute anything. These same lawyers are skum suckers at the BVA and Court levels.

I LOST MY LIFE FOR 5 YEARS!!!

The only one that has the power to re-gain your life is you.

Grab ahold and hang on as there is as likely as not, still a long ride ahead.

carlie