VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Hosptial

Rate this topic

Hello all,,,

I was admitted into the hospital this past wednesday. My blood pressure drooped to about 45/30. Scary!!!

Anyhow,,, I had always been afraid to be admitted into a VA hospital. Well,,, my fears came true.

My first night was wonderful,,, maybe because I was really being monitored. However,,, the morning on was scary.

Whenever my I.V. finished,,, it would make that sound. I would call for the nurse,,, if I got an answer,,, is would be a "yes" as if I was bothering them. Once,,, the man came on and said "what do you want?"

After four pushes,,, I learned my lesson that pushing that nurse button is a "no-no." And,,, that I would have to live with the continuous beeping of the I.V. pump.

I also had to clean myself up. I found myself in the bathroom with stuff coming out of both ends of my body. Okay,,, this part is TMI but I must share.

--I went to the restroom,,, sat on the toilet,,, Boom, Boom, Bam!!!!,,, turned over,,, put my head in that stinky toilet (yes, I flushed),,, Boom, Boom Bam!!!. I pulled that string to call for the nurse (ooops,,, wrong response). They came in and said,,, "Ewwwwww, let me get YOU a towel. You going to be alright? Here, clean yourself up. Next time,,, try to get your bowel movement in the container, not the toilet."

So,,, I cleaned myself up and went to bed.

This is just the beginning. I never been so scarred in my life.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Honestly,,, I thought that they wanted to "do me in" cause I am a costly liability. I begged to be released Friday and actually told them I was going to walk out. They released me with a blood pressure of around 95/50 AND with some labs still abnormal and a follow-up appt with my providers. I told my doc that I can deal with my kidney levels and will eat salt lick for my blood pressure,,, just get me outta here. Since I personaly knew my doctor, he agreed and will call me everyday (which he has done today and will come by tomorrow for dinner).

WHAT ARE YOUR EXPERIENCES???

Tayo

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My experiences are that VA hospitals suck. I have been an in-pt for several things and every experience has been horrid...at more than on facility. This past Wednesday I had a colonoscopy and I was released before I could even walk and with a BP of 92/60. I was very overmedicated.

What you need to do as soon as you feel better is get a copy of your records from that visit...all records...in pt notes, labs, everything. Go to the ROI office, complete the form and get those records. Then file a formal complaint with the patient advocate...name names if you can recall them. Don't let your horrible treatment go.

I hope you are feeling better!!!

I really think that the care is different at the various hospitals, because I have heard horror stories from other veterans; but they were always from different areas. I have always appreciated the care I have received at either Ft. Meade, SD or the Memphis VAMC. The only problem I ever had was due to a personality conflict with an anal orifice, and he had to apologize. B)

I recently had a tympanoplasty (hole in ear drum repair), and was very pleased by the whole procedure. But I will admit I was very nervous beforehand.

Louis

• HadIt.com Elder
My experiences are that VA hospitals suck. I have been an in-pt for several things and every experience has been horrid...at more than on facility. This past Wednesday I had a colonoscopy...

purple, did the VA clean the colonoscopy equipment properly, before they used it on you? There was a report on dirty colonoscopy equipment, used at VAMC's, recently.

Years ago my youngest son and I were rough housing and he broke my ankle. Here I was no job, no insurance and a broken ankle. I did not want to go to the VA hospital so bad that I almost decided to just suffer and hope it would fix itself. We walked (hobbled) into the hospital about 7PM and got taken care of around 10AM the next day. But, the things that I saw and did is almost unbelievable. I was watching a VA employee with a clip board yell at this old soldier (must have been from WWI or Spainish-American War) who was on a bed staring straight up at the ceiling. She kept yelling "you must sign this form" over and over. I got pissed at her yelling at this old soldier, hobbled over there and checked him for vital signs, he had none. He was dead. The part that really got me was when she said that he can not be dead, "he has not signed this form yet". My wife had to come rescue this stupid b*t*c*.

Oh, they finally got to my ankle and put a cast on it. Unfortunately, I had fallen asleep while they were ding the casting, woke up and discovered, yes you guessed it! Wrong ankle! That is the first and I hope ...oh I forgot about the ear ache, but that is another disaster for later.

Papa