VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Knee Problem And Vamc Treatment

Rate this topic

if the va worked like it's supposed to in this, the information age, issue of the knee brace would automatically cross-flow into the regional office and automatically kick out a form letter addressed to the vet telling them that they need to have the form completed and sent into their vamc's prosthetics and sensory aids and devices (132) by august 1 every year (i believe this is the cut-off date annually) to get the clothing allowance like clockwork.

i think i had to download the form off the internet, after the vso told me that i qualified, and send it to the local varo, per the forms instructions. they changed the process slightly recently, in that the local vamc prosthetics and sensory aids and devices (132) office (it seems to have that number at all of them, because it's on the form)... they verify that you have been prescribed such a gadget and put your name on the list to get the allowance when it is done. the form even mentions certain medications that cause staining to clothing.

here's a link to the form:

http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/21-8678.pdf

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

found this over in the tbi forum where some were discussing clothing allowance:

pete992 said:

"This year it will be $716.00 for one but if you get two it should be double

This post has been edited by pete992: Aug 1 2009, 02:01 PM"

i don't know if you can get backpay, it's not like a claim or is it? some of the others probably know.

name='out_here04' date='Aug 25 2009, 08:50 PM' post='162286']

if the va worked like it's supposed to in this, the information age, issue of the knee brace would automatically cross-flow into the regional office and automatically kick out a form letter addressed to the vet telling them that they need to have the form completed and sent into their vamc's prosthetics and sensory aids and devices (132) by august 1 every year (i believe this is the cut-off date annually) to get the clothing allowance like clockwork.

i think i had to download the form off the internet, after the vso told me that i qualified, and send it to the local varo, per the forms instructions. they changed the process slightly recently, in that the local vamc prosthetics and sensory aids and devices (132) office (it seems to have that number at all of them, because it's on the form)... they verify that you have been prescribed such a gadget and put your name on the list to get the allowance when it is done. the form even mentions certain medications that cause staining to clothing.

here's a link to the form:

http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/21-8678.pdf

Thank you very much. I called my local office today and they said they would fax the form to me but of course they did not. Thats crazy that I've had these braces for almost five years and they never said anything.

found this over in the tbi forum where some were discussing clothing allowance:

pete992 said:

"This year it will be $716.00 for one but if you get two it should be double

This post has been edited by pete992: Aug 1 2009, 02:01 PM"

i don't know if you can get backpay, it's not like a claim or is it? some of the others probably know.

I assked her and she said no I could not get back pay.

but once you get in the system, you might get double allowance, for two braces. that's around 1400 and not a bad lump sum just before christmas for as long as you need to wear them. just remember to get your primary care to re-prescribe them occasionally. they wear out and the metal gets exposed, as i'm sure you know.

even on active duty, my clothing allowance date was just before christmas, tha'ts why i said that. my wife said it really always helped, especially when the two kids were home.

but once you get in the system, you might get double allowance, for two braces. that's around 1400 and not a bad lump sum just before christmas for as long as you need to wear them. just remember to get your primary care to re-prescribe them occasionally. they wear out and the metal gets exposed, as i'm sure you know.

even on active duty, my clothing allowance date was just before christmas, tha'ts why i said that. my wife said it really always helped, especially when the two kids were home.

Thanks even if they just grant for one knee every little bit helps. I don't expect them to grant back pay. Let me know what you decide to do about your knees. John is right a second opinion would be a nice place to start. Do you take pain meds I take motrin and robaxin for pain they are not great but they make the pain tolerable. What do you take. Good luck with your decision.