VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Got My C File Today!

Rate this question

Cavtrooper088

Question

Hi gang,

Finally got my "C" file today. I'm currently rated as 70% PTSD and (90%) overall. I would appreciate your thoughts on where I go from here relative to filing for IU or trying to get to 100% PTSD. I understand the words written below, but not sure I understand the meaning of the words written by the examiner.

Here are the comments made from my C&P exam for PTSD. "on the Beck Depression Inventory, this veteran endorsed a number of symptoms yielding a score of 35, which indicates an extremely severe level of depression. He was also tested with the MMPI and the results were judged to be valid. Profile elevations are consistent with a diagnosis of PTSD. Of note are endorsements of items suggestive or persecutory ideas and social isolation. His score of 158 on the Mississippi is more than one standard deviation above the mean for the PTSD group.

Diagnoses:

AXIS 1. 309.81 post traumatic stress disorder

AXIS II. V7109 (I don't understand what this means--Cav)

AXIS III. Hypertension (same here Cav)

AXIS IV. Chronic severe emotional problems, phase of life concerns. (phase of life??--does he think I'm gonna to turn into a friggin butterfly??)

AXIS V. GAF 45

Summary and conclusions "Results of this examination are consistent with a diagnosis of PTSD chronic, severe. Veteran was decorated for valor seven times and his symptoms are directly attributable to his horrific and life threatening combat experiences in VN. His clinical presentation was consistent with the results of psychological testing. This veteran has structured his life in such a way that he can, at times, appear to have successfully staved off a complete exacerbation of his PTSD symptoms. However, his ability to do so effectively is currently being taxed. His difficult postwar adjustment, workaholic style and self reported symptoms are hallmark features of PTSD. I suspect that his mental health will continue to deteriorate such that he will no longer be able to function adequately either at home or in the work place. I strongly urge this veteran to seek treatment for this condition.

This Doc sure read my future correctly. This was written 20 Feb 07, and I was terminated for aggressive, hostile behavior in the work place two months ago. Again, thanks for your help. I would appreciate your thoughts. Please don't think I'm a mean person---I try real hard to control my anger--sometimes I can't. Cavtrooper088

• Answers 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Cav,

The form to file for TDIU is the VA Form 21-8940, Veteran's Application For Increased Compensation Based On Unemployability.

And I agree, Larry resembles an old guy! :D ROTFLM*O

I think it's his beanie...

Louis

Yep---Larry's older 'n dirt. Glad I live a long way away from him 'cause he looks mean too :D :lol:

thanks for the form number Louis

Larry,

My Granddad came from the same school that your's did. I thought my name was boy until my went to college. Then it became college boy :P Again--thanks for all your help

Cav

And being a Native American Jewish veteran makes Larry a brave mensch! :D

I am adding these comments to an old post so that you can see the original comments on my PTSD C&P, and compare these comments with the comments from my medical file.

To start out--I finally got my medical records today. As I read through the notes from the mental health dept I was dismayed. Finally, the light is slowing coming on in the thick skull I have, and I'm starting to realize why so many vets are bitter towards VA. I've spent many months talking with these folks--seeking help with my anger management, nightmares and memories of combat. I find out today that they're really more concerned with the fact that I "dress neatly, maintain good eye contact and and speaks with a clear voice. Completely minimizing the fact I have been in four physical altercations in the past two years (with a$$holes), been fire for fighting in the workplace and I just can't clear my mind of the men that were loss due to my mistakes.

I flew cobras in VN until I was wounded and evac in my 10th month. I was shot down twice, spent eight terrifying hours on the ground ( I ain't a grunt--didn't sign up to be a grunt didn't like being on the ground playing hide and go seek with strange little people trying to hurt me) until I was extracted. I was awarded three distinguished flying crosses, bronze star w/v device, Air Medal w/v device and a PH and some other stuff. My unit (TF Gerry Owens) lost 30% of the pilots (all but 4 were KIA's) over a 45 day period while fighting the battle of An Loc in 1972. Our unit, which was decimated, was awarded a Presidental Unit Citation and stood down following this fight and the survivors (me being one) were farmed out to other Cav units in county. Do they focus on this--no instead they compliment me on being neatly dress and maintain good eye contact. He--, my momma and Dad (God rest their souls) taught me to dress neatly and speak clearly, and maintain good eye contact---What's this got to do with the price of tea in china?

All these folks want to do is to show that I am making progress. They change my meds every six weeks, try to turn me into a walking zoombie, and ask me if I'm gonna kill myself or anyone else in the next few days while they log in how much better I am getting and pat themselves on the back. In fact my GAF has steadily risen from the 45 on my C&P exam to a consistent 50-55. Obviously due to their brilliant observations that I am "neatly dress, maintain good eye contact and speak with a clear voice. All this miracle curing has taking place while my life is rapidly spending out of control and I am going to hurt myself or somebody.

Thank you Jesus--VA has healed me. Now we will all go down to the altar and praise VA. Give me a ffriggin break.

(I'm Southern Baptist- so I probably just got in trouble for that last sentence--Gotta go to church for sure Sunday).

I'm sorry if I have offended anyone. I didn't mean to offend, but I am hurting right now. I thought these folks were listening to me and trying to help me. They don't care. I'm just another entry on the score card. Cavtrooper