VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I Have Ptsd And Orders To Deploy

Rate this question

bob barker

Question

i had a c&p exam first of the month, i was diagnosed with ptsd and a gaf score of 52. thats about all i know about the report. now i am waiting for my disability % from ptsd and my(forget what they call it) board of appeals apt. about my back arthritis,hearing loss, ringing ears and a couple others since they have all been denied. one week ago i got orders to deploy in oct in support of OIF. i am stuck in a rut about deploying, i know i can get out of it but i might go through with it anyways. i just wish i knew what i would get for my ptsd rating. and will they let me deploy with ptsd?

• Answers 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
i asked them what type of discharge i would get. they told me it would be a honorable discharge. my question is should it be a medical discharge?

If the army rates your disability 30% or greater, then you should receive a Chapter 61 Medical Retirement.

Edited by Commander Bob 92-93

I would look in to it, as far as i remember when i was in the army. Were you already discharged with an honorable discharge? The remaining time that you signed up for on your contract would be in the IRR. The tricky part is this... It doesn't require anything but, a commanders authority (signature) to push the paperwork that you were ineligible for duty and therefore exempt or waived from it. I think the only way you could get a medical discharge according to the regs is to actually be on physical active duty. If your in the IRR and not getting paid for it...your not active. Hence the name inactive ready reserve..When you get released from active duty to inactive status your dd-214 tells you the character of service and the RE-code at the bottom. its this RE-code or re-enilistment code that would tell you if it was medically related or not. The code is located at the bottom of the page on the right.. hope this helps

This whole deal of granting 10% then making vets fight for it is getting pretty insulting isn't it? When it's all layed out, and there is rock solid proof, they still do it. I had the same thing happen with my claim two years ago, and have just recently got upped to 70% combat ptsd. They seem to be using this to weed out fraudulent claims(And making some look fraudulent by publishing misinformation in exams I.E. the symptoms are transient and have subsided with meds). Just my speculation though.

Doesn't that give some prospective lawyers a gold mine to jump into for the possibility of sueing the examiner for defamation? I've looked up the law on it, and it and in laymens terms if someone willingly, and intentionally publishes something untrue, and can be proven that causes the person loss in any way, then the one who publishes it is liable to be sued for defamation of character, and held responsible for paying restitution for the loss.

I've wondered how this would go when dealing with VA med examiners. Is this one reason why they contract alot of them? Easily distanced from the liability?

Hang in there and DON"T give into the premis that's designed to make u believe it's not worth the fight. The fight u give them (Through navigating their red tape) is, I think anyway, looked at as u really aren't just grabbin for benefits, and u don't have a choice but to keep after them till justice is served. JMHO

bob,

What agency decided granted this 10 % ?

DOD or VA ?

If this is from VA - you can file a NOD and submit medical and lay evidence

that supports a higher percentage.

You may have been lowballed, but yet there are some good things that

come from this 10 % rating.

First - you have been granted SC.

Second - as you recieve additional MH treatment for PTSD , if your residual symptoms

increase any - then you can request an increase based on the medical evidence.

This would be down the road.

Being that you have been at this such a short amount of time I think you

have done well so far.

jmho,

carlie