VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I Have Ptsd And Orders To Deploy

Rate this question

bob barker

Question

i had a c&p exam first of the month, i was diagnosed with ptsd and a gaf score of 52. thats about all i know about the report. now i am waiting for my disability % from ptsd and my(forget what they call it) board of appeals apt. about my back arthritis,hearing loss, ringing ears and a couple others since they have all been denied. one week ago i got orders to deploy in oct in support of OIF. i am stuck in a rut about deploying, i know i can get out of it but i might go through with it anyways. i just wish i knew what i would get for my ptsd rating. and will they let me deploy with ptsd?

• Answers 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder
i have submit a disagrence with the percent i was awarded. i attached several strong letters my doctors wrote for me to help my claim. *crosses fingers and hopes for the best*

Your "disagrence" reference sounds a bit vague, to me . Did you actually send a "Notice of Disagreement". ( N.O.D. ) Did your letter say "I disagree with your decision dated...etc??? Please accept this letter as my "Notice of Disagreement"...etc...

Asking to reconsider or submitting new evidence and letters from Dr. are good, however, if you do not send a N.O.D., the clock will run out on you next Sept...

Edited by Commander Bob 92-93

my ptsd rating got bumped up to 30%. it finally feels like i am getting somewhere with the va system. my questions is the decision letter says ''a higher evaluation of 50% in not warranted unless there is reduced reliability and productivity due to such symptoms as : flattened affect; circumstantail, circumlocutory or sterotyped speech; panic attacks more than once a week; difficulty in understanding complex commands; impairment of short and long term memory;impaired judgment; impaired abstract thinking; disturbances of motivation and mood; difficulty in establishing and maintaing effective work ans social relationships''. i think the papers i submitted from my doctors show i have these conditions that would grant me 50% or more, so i guess i submit another N.O.D?

• HadIt.com Elder
my ptsd rating got bumped up to 30%. it finally feels like i am getting somewhere with the va system.

Good! You should not deploy with acute PTSD!

my questions is the decision letter says ''a higher evaluation of 50% in not warranted unless there is reduced reliability and productivity due to such symptoms as : flattened affect; circumstantail, circumlocutory or sterotyped speech; panic attacks more than once a week; difficulty in understanding complex commands; impairment of short and long term memory;impaired judgment; impaired abstract thinking; disturbances of motivation and mood; difficulty in establishing and maintaing effective work ans social relationships''.

i think the papers i submitted from my doctors show i have these conditions that would grant me 50% or more, so i guess i submit another N.O.D?

Yes, file a NOD and attach your evidence. Make sure you keep a hard copy for your home files! Send your mail "certified" ... ~Wings

Edited by Wings

I'm not sure if I already replied to this thread or not as none of my replies have been showing up yet, but here it goes anyway.

I went through a similar experience last summer (summer 2008). Starting way back in my story, I deployed to Iraq from FEB04 through MAR05 and served for 13 months as an Infantry Platoon Leader. When I returned from Iraq I had all sorts of issues and my wife basically told me to get help. So, I sought help for PTSD from the local mental health people on our post. I finished up the rest of my time in the military doing a variety of staff jobs. As soon as I had the chance to leave, I left as I figured that I was not capable of leading Soldiers in combat again due to my PTSD issues.

On 31OCT07 I was discharged and placed in the IRR. About 9 months later I got a certified letter in the mail from the Army issuing me orders to return to active duty service and that I was to report to Ft. Benning on 1AUG08 for mobilization training and that I was to be deployed to Iraq for "400 days unless extended". Basically I started going nuts. Eventually I went to a civilian psychiatrist and they pointed me to the VA after I made them uncomfortable with some of my thoughts and issues. It was funny I remember them saying that I needed a "more intense psychiatric setting".

I submitted a request for deferment with the Army focussing mostly on my mental health issues and I wrote the best part of 70 long rambling pages about why I was unable to go back to combat again and Iraq again. When I was in Iraq I got to the point that I just didn't care anymore and I became reckless and stupid. I don't know how I didn't get myself killed with some of the stuff I did. I also was on the verge of commiting suicide and I even locked and loaded my M4 once in my room with this in mind. There were a lot of things going on in my head that I won't even begin to mention now.

The most frustrating thing was that I couldn't even get the Army to acknowledge that they even received my packet. I was freaking out and I kept calling their office several times a day and, when I would get voice mail, I would leave long and rambling messages. Finally a friend of my wife was also good friends with (then) Senator Joe Biden's personal aid and we got him to inquire the status of my packet. All I wanted the Army to say was that they got the packet. The next morning I got a call from the Army saying that they got my packet and that they reviewed it and that they needed xyz documents. I submitted the documents and continued to wait and continued to get more and more frustrated and freaked out. I was still calling their office at least once a day trying to figure out the status. Eventually when I was intoxicated I called the office, really freaked out on the E-5 or E-6 that answered the phone, hung up on the guy, and got a call 15 minutes later from an O-6 saying that I was going to receive and honorable discharge in the mail and that I needed to get immediate care from the VA. I honestly expected the police to come by my house and arrest me after the last incident and I was looking for a fight. It would have been really bad if it would have happened that way...

Thinking about this all over really gets me going. I was doing fine until they tried to call me back to active duty. Ever since then my life really has just gotten harder and harder. I was first given a 30% PTSD service connected rating, suspended from work after I freaked out at there, nearly fired, bumped up to a 70% rating 6 months later, continued to go further down hill, and eventually was fired on 8 October 2009 because of my issues at work caused from my PTSD.

Anyways, I don't know what the point of all of this that I wrote is. Just know that there are people out there who have successfully gone through what you are dealing with. Stick with it and do what you have to do. I never once lied or exagerated anything that I told the Army or the VA, but if you are feeling antsy and don't know what to do or who to call, give the HRC phone number on your orders a call and let them deal with you. They created the issue by recalling you and they are the ones who are eventually going to decide to send you back to Iraq. Show them the full scope of your PTSD when it heats up and let them figure out how to cool you down. I don't know if they document any of your calls, but if all else fails they'll at least know your name off the top of their heads as the crazy guy if you call them all the time like I did.

Again, never lie and exagerate. Just don't hold back anything that you are thinking or feeling.

Again, hope that helps.