VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Diskectomy In 1989

Rate this question

81150 CAFB

Question

First, great to find this site. I had this posted elsewhere,but I didn't know if was in the right place.

My question is regarding my back. In 1989, while in the USAF (1987-1991), I had an L4-L5 diskectomy (right side) and 20 years later I am currently recovering post-op for a micro-laminectomy/diskectomy on the left side along with removal of a bone spur...the imaging (MRI, myleogram w/ C-T scan) also showed additional protrusion on the right at L4-L5 and mild protusion at L5-S1 with possible nerve displacement. The private neurosurgen was only concerned with the l4-l5 issue and only does micro. He said that it would add a couple of hours to the surgery to reconstruct the right side. The only current problem I have on the right side is sciatica flair ups if I sit for extended periods of time and my toes are always insensitive/numb. He didn't want to mess with it since most of my pain was on the left. Should I get a letter from him saying that additional work is probabily needed and that I have DDD or IVDS?

I never filed for a claim when I was discharged in 1991 (why? no idea I guess something you really don't think about when you are 22 and no guidance).

Do I have a chance for a claim? I really haven't missed much work or have seen the doctor for my back in the last 20 years, since it was something you live with until about 4 months ago when the pain became severe and familiar except on the left side this time.

Do they rate you on how you are feeling now (he had surgery and is fine) or do they look at the surgeries as an indication of degeneration (ROM)? I am pretty sure that within 5 to 10 years, I will have additional surgeries...fushion or reconstruction.

Should I wait to see how this surgery effects me i.e does the sciatica pain go away etc...before starting a claim?

Additionally, I had a broken bone removed in my left foot about 5 years ago. I am constantly running into things and ended up breaking a small bone in my left foot that would not heal and had to be removed. Could this be related to my back (balance-gait-foot drop-atrophy)? Is there a test for this?

After reading some of the back pain/spine posts and repository, I'll admit that I am still confused about what compensation I would be entilted to (10%-40%)? I guess

Any help would be appriciated.

• Answers 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Since I am just over 1 week post -op, do I need to wait a couple of months to file the claim (still waiting on SMR's anyway and post op appointment with nuero) to see how the current sugery takes? I don't think the VA would want me to do a C&P so close to my surgery. Is there a time frame they prefer (6 weeks - 3 months post op)?

I will probably file for IVDS (herniated disk, stenosis, bone spur-arthritis) and sciatica (numbness, tingling & foot drop)

Thanks

81150 CAFB - both extinct

• HadIt.com Elder

File the claim now. you should already be service conected since you had the surgury in service.

The latest surgury may increase the rating.

You are costing yourself Money by waiting. EED is the date claimis filed or Enitilement arose whichever is later.

J

File the claim now. you should already be service conected since you had the surgury in service.

The latest surgury may increase the rating.

You are costing yourself Money by waiting. EED is the date claimis filed or Enitilement arose whichever is later.

J

Thank you. No problem if the schedule a C&P witin a month? I don't want them to discount the rating because I'm still recovering.

I appreciate all of the info on this site. I learn something evertime I look around.

• HadIt.com Elder

You should be rated on residuals. Post surgury.

It will depend on your range of motion, and any effected nerve issues.

If you have sciatica then file for your back and also file for the sciatic nerve.

J

You should be rated on residuals. Post surgury.

It will depend on your range of motion, and any effected nerve issues.

If you have sciatica then file for your back and also file for the sciatic nerve.

J

Thanks for the help!

81150 CAFB

Does anyone know where I can find a full listing of the ratings based on code? For example scitica code xxxx, IVDS, scar, muscle spasm, hemerroids, etc...? I am trying to figure out what the percentages are based on. I know I have seen it somewhere on the site but can not find it again. Additionally, does the VA automatically rate you as IVDS after looking at your history or do I need my neuro to specifically state in the connection letter with current diagnosis?

Finally got my op report and it looks like they did a little more work then I thought for a micro surgery (large bone spur at S-1 with "generous formontomy(?)" Know wonder why I had a 2-inch+ scar directly over the same one 20 years ago and still in a lot of pain two weeks post-op. Oh well.

Thanks for all of the help.