VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

30% Ptsd Rating

Rate this question

shawnb28

Question

Just received a 30% rating for PTSD with Depressive disorder not otherwise specified. Based on the following, do you think I should file for an increase to 50%? Was my rating low balled because I did not claim depression in the beginning? Or was the depression considered along with the mental health rating all together?

From C&P exam by doc

Diagnoses :

Axis I: 1. PTSD 2. Depressive disorder, not otherwise specified.

Axis II: No diagnosis

Axis III: See med history section

Axis IV: 1. Unemployment. 2. lack of social network

Axis V: Current 55 GAF

Summary: Veteran currently meets the DSM IV diagnostic criteria for PTSD. Symptomatology currently appeared to be in the medium range. In addition he meets the criteria for depressive order not otherwise specified. These symptoms also appear to be in the moderate range.

From my Rating decision explanation.

"Service connection for PTSD with Depressive disorder not otherwise specified has been established as directly related to military service. DD-214 confirms your receipt of CIB for service in Afghanistan......At recent VA exam, you stated you struggle with focusing, anxiety, sleep, avoidance behaviors, intrusive thoughts, hypervigilance, anger, and triggers.......Therefore based on the findings of hypervigilance, sleep disturbances, irritability, and depression an evaluation of 30 % is assigned. "

No where did they mention how I am unemployed now after losing my job or the C&P examiner notes where she writes " He lost his job because he was making too many mistakes and was having a difficult time focusing. He indicates he was told his performance was not as good as it used to be and work had slowed down, hence, they let him go."

Was I low balled on this rating?

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Your job loss--as was written--sounded like it was more due to a company slow down than anything and there isn't anything said about you not currently being able to work...that is key.

With the words "moderate" and "medium" being used, I'm not surprised by the 30% rating.

Just my 2cents worth.

It wouldn't have mattered if you claimed the depression up front or not....you can only be rated for one mental health disorder anyway.

Is depressive disorder not the same as depression, just asking?

My first ptsd rating was 30% for ( this is how it is listed ptsd, with depression, and anxiety ). I had to file a nod because the one that rated me said that I had a gaf of 50 when I had a gaf of 25, and then I was moved up to 50%. I still thank that I was given a low %. What I am saying is it depends on and how good the rater is at understanding and rembering what he or she just read.

I agree with the other posts. But also think that you should always apply for an increase "if" you have new medical evidence that hasn't already been considered.

Or as the other posts suggest, if you receive a "Statement of the Case" and you find errors then just consider this a point to "Appeal" and submit the NOD so they can correct this and INCREASE your rating.

With a GAF of 25 - yes I think you were low balled!

• HadIt.com Elder

If you are not working even a slowdown what are your prospects? If you are not able to look for work cause of panic attacks or hyper vigilance or unable to deal with people your rating should be higher.

Good Luck