VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Copd,hyperthyroidism, Gerd

Rate this question

billy2

Question

I received a call from the VSR or someone similar asking me if I would like to file a claim for COPD,GERD and Hyperthroidism. I have two claims pending and she was reviewing my medical files and saw these three items. I asked how does this relate to my service 40 years ago. I never thought that these things were caused by my service in the army. I don't want to waste the VBA's time and my time with frivolous claims. If there is a nexus, that is fine but if there isn't a nexus than forget it.

Bill

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Cannoncocker,

Thank you for your encouragement. I just find it a little strange that all these conditions were added to a claim that I feel have nothing to do with my service. I know it may not make sense to some people that I feel that way. I guess if you look at the total picture all these issues will help because I feel that I an unable to work anymore and applied for IU.

Bill

Yes , I do know exactly yhe way you sre looing at this. they put on my claim "residual effects of Flu". Now what on planet earth does that mean? I insisted they remove that. My VSO became angry at me because i was interfering with the process, and in laymans terms just plaim bothering hime. If I had it to do it over again I would have left it and minded my own business. Your honorable intentions sadly play no part in this that I can discern. Or reality for that matter.

They did in 1978 line us up and say here is a new thing called a flu shot. I have never been so sick in my life, but I lived and that was the end of that. what that meant nobody I have talked to knows.

Just let it go is all I can say. Negative side= nothing. Positive side would be they award you something or whatever they write down may help reagarding your UI.

Wish you luck on the UI. Sounds like you deserve it . Stay strong and honorable and things will go your way.

Do you have a copy of your SMRs? They could reveal medical evidence that would establish a nexus to your service for these other conditions.

I c0mmend you too for what you said but I think something triggered the VSR to suggest adding these problems to your claim.Was she reading your clinical VA records or your SMRs?

VSR? from the regional office or a vet rep from one of the vet orgs?

Cannoncocker is not a 'nobody'by any means- he provides many good points here at hadit-

I think I talk here too much about my husband and his claims etc etc- it is just that he experienced so many tribulations with VA and then when he died-I experienced them too that all of that had meaning and value because someone out there can relate to so much of what we dealt with and how it all got resolved- well almost resolved.

Our personal experiences can sure help someone else-and encourage them to keep appealing any denials.

Pete sincerely offers the much needed support we all need to have when dealing with the VA-

BTW Pete maybe I mentioned but Joe Peck from Prodigy vets BBS in the 1980s -who you were always so encouraging to-finally won 100% SC.

His claim seemed impossible and even the denials had some rationale. Yet he persisted and he succeeded.

Without people believing in him at these vet sites-as you did years ago-he would have given up.

billy2, could any of these conditions be secondary to the 50% you have now?

maybe that is what the VSR was thinking of.

Edited by Berta

• HadIt.com Elder

Anyone who has GERD needs medical treatment and medicine to stop the acid. Failure to do this can result in severe problems that could cost you your life.

My 41 year old nephew died from esophageal cancer last march cause he treated GERD with Tuns

It has been years but during a clinical in nursess tng. I watched a Hiatal Herniorophy (spelling), and after they open the rib cage to get to the esophogeal flap, if that is the cause, it is not something you would do voluntarily.

Do something about that. The alternatives are not pretty..

Best wishes Berta.

i