VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

My Iu Claim Due To Als

Rate this question

mom24

Question

After I got awarded SSDI, I sent the award letter in, along with recent medical records and dr's statement from private neurologist. A couple weeks after I sent it in, I got a duty to assist letter from VA saying they had received my claim for an increase for ALS and for IU. Now, mind you, I sent this in as a reconsideration which I stately plainly. Anyway, the letter said they had already scheduled me for a c&p exam for my joints. I knew this because the ortho from the vamc called me a few days early to schedule it. The va also requested my medical records from ssa and they said it could take a few months to receive. they also asked for all information I had already sent in with the initial claim. I called the 800# to find out why they were requesting all the info I had previously sent in. She said she didn't know, but if they were requesting it, to go ahead and send it in. She said the fact that i had already been scheduled for a c&p for the following week was a good sign and to not hold the claim up by not sending in the information. So, i sent it all in again, certified return receipt. I also called SSA and they said they had already sent my records in to the va. So, I had the c&p exam about a week later. I knew it was for my joints and I assummed it was going to be on my hands since this is what the new evidence was for. But when I go in to see the doctor, I find out it is for an increase for my knees, which I didn't request. I was confused and so was the doctor. he went ahead and did the exam. i got the c&p notes already and I do not qualify for an increase, as i already knew. on the exam the dr stated that i was in for an exam due to a claim for an increase and individual unemployablity due to service connected disabilities, including the knees. I sent an iris(love that system) and after a week, i got a call from a lady at the va. she had just spoken to the regional office and she said they told her that they were trying to grant me iu, but that they needed a c&p exam on my knees because they didn't have one except when I was first rated in 2002. she said they had received the medical records from ssa and were requesting the c&p exam from vamc and sent out the employer form to the last people i worked for. I emailed my old supervisor and let her know it was coming and to fax it to the varo per the lady at iris, then mail it to them and a copy to me. I think I might just have her mail it to me so i can send it certified, since basically it is the only thing they need. the lady who called me said that if i have copies of the c&p already, the varo will just print them off. So, what do you make of all of this. Was scheduling me for an exam for my knees normal procedure for iu, even if i wasn't part of my claim? Since the varo sent the form to my former employer, is that a good sign. the lady from iris said that is the first time they had sent it out. so they denied me before without ever sending it. i'm hoping this will all be over soon. we start homeschooling on tuesday and dealing with this claim all of last school year was a huge distraction, so it would be very nice if i'm about done. i will not hold my breath, though.

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

I got a message on voicemail from my VSO saying he had a decision on my IU claim. I'm surprised to get the call from my VSO since I haven't heard from him since May and have been doing everything on my own since then, with a lot of help from you guys. I submitted my SSA award and letter from neurologist asking for reconsideration on 8/3/09. The VA just received the employer form from a former employer on 9/16/09 and they already had everything else they needed. So i think that is a quick turn-around time. Maybe I got it since my VSO called me; he never called me about the other decisions. I hope it is good news. I'll let ya know.