VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

C&p For Ptsd

Rate this question

billy2

Question

I had a C&P for PTSD a few weeks ago. I was under the care of a private shrink in 2004 for about a year and I never told the VA about it.

It was a job related issue and I took a few months off and I needed a medical diagnosis to cover my absence under FMLA.

I was a supervisor and fired someone and he lost his appeal and it was final. This employee had a history or violence and crazy behavior.

He told people he was going to get me. I asked the agency what they would do to protect me and I was told nothing could be done.

I went to the shrink and he put me on Zoloft.

As far as I can remember we never really got into the combat issues. I know it was mentioned but our main focus was on this individual that had threatened me. The shrink said I was suffering from PTSD.

I never mentioned this because I didn't want the VA to say my PTSD was the result of my job. The doctor recommended that I leave my job if at all possible.

I did leave my job a few years later because I could no longer function in a hostile work place.

Bill

• Answers 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Have you gotten into the combat issues since with a VA doctor?

The private doc's diagnosis could be interpreted as a case of a work related stressor causing full blown combat PTSD to raise it's ugly head.

Same thing happened to a supervisor at the local VA. He was always on the "crazies" -as he called the combat Vietnam vets who worked under him.I already posted here before how he treated my husband with PTSD when Rod worked for him- a real tyrant.He also inseminated my milking goat-his billy goat did that is- (he raised livestock too) and during this process one day he started to tell me a little about his experiences in Vietnam. I didnt even know up til then he was a Vietnam combat vet and I dont think many VA employees knew either.

Long story-he called me years ago after Rod died and apologised for the way he had treated him .He said he had just been diagnosed with PTSD as he was getting so belligerent on the job they put him on a stress leave-

obviously the VA job appeared to be the initial reason for his problems- work related- but he told me he had just begun to realize how he had kept so much in about the war that it had affected the job and his marriage too.

The VA can assess work related PTSD from combat related PTSD but to save money they might give you a hard time with your claim.

The best thing you can do-unless you are getting solely combat related therapy now from VA-is to think about possibly getting a private psychiatrist to support your claim.

Before you do that however -the VA should give you the combat related MMPI-this test can certainly assess combat stressors and their affect to you.

I am assuming that either you have CIB, PH or CAR on your DD 214 or you can definitely give VA enough info to prove your stressors. They only need to get one stressor verified from JSRRC so best to give them the one or more that are the easiest to verify as to time , date and place.

What is the 50% SC for?

Bertha.

I think the stressors have been established already with the medical people at the VA during my interviews and also during my C&P for PTSD. I didn't bring the work related issues of being threatened with harm by an employee because it had nothing to do with my leaving the Post Office.

I was hoping to work longer and max out my pension but it was impossible. I should have filed for injury comp. when this employee treatened me and the agency looked the other way. I still have copies of the two letters that I wrote to the powers to be and they ignored me.

I retired because physically and mentally I couldn't do the job any longer and not because the agency ignored my concerns 4 years earlier.

I didn't want to complicate the PTSD claim by bringing in more information than was needed. The VA is confused enough already. If you ever called them you would know what I mean.

If I lose my claim for PTSD I will go to a private shrink, not the one I went to earlier because I didn't like him. He gave his dog a half a tablet of Zoloft when he took him to work with him. You can imagine the meds he gave to people.

Bertha I was denied a claim for CAD and Hypertension as related to DMII which I was rated for from Nam and AO. I couldn't get the heart Dr. to put anything in writing. It was like I was asking him to give me illegal drugs.

Bill