VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Sleep Apnea/cpap

Rate this question

LILS

Question

I am active duty and was just recently diagnosed with sleep apnea and am currently on a CPAP machine. My question is: Will the VA require me to get another sleep study through their system or do they accept the results as is since it is obviously SC? I read someone's post where they had sleep apnea documented in their records (while on active duty), along with using a CPAP machine for a couple of years, but the VA had them redo a sleep study (through the VA) when this person retired. That doesn't make sense to me, so I'm just trying to find out if they can really do that.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

The VA will tell you they are trying to correctly evaluate the severity of your OSA.

As long as you have the results of the Active Duty Sleep study you can compare it to the VA's.

You should get it SC'd at 50 percent ( Use of CPAP)

You should be dilligent in dealing with the VA and done assume anything while the claim is ongoing. Stay on top of it and watch every move they make.

Hope this helps.

J

Once in the system you will find that nothing the VA does makes sense. As you are current active duty you will have the opportunity to do the BDD program prior to leaving active duty. This means that you condition is current so I do not believe they will require another sleep study. However, as I said the VA could and do sometimes amazes even the almighty!!!!

Don't worry about it. The only reason the apnea will change is if you were way over weight at the time of the study and now you have lost a bunch of weight which could affect you apnea. If this were the case then they probably would request another study.

Outside of the above I think you will be fine even if they do request another one. I know it is a pain in the neck but you gotta do what you gotta do.

LILS

is the Benefits Delivery at Discharge program available to you (some installations participate, some don't)? If so, DEFINATELY use it. You can submit your claim and copies of your STRs; the VA will schedule your exams while still inservice. You have to be between 60 months and 60 days from separation to use BDD.

I also was diagnosed with OSA and began using a CPAP will still on active duty. My STRs showed contained the results of the sleep study and titration study and showed that I was using the CPAP. 50%, no problem. The only question they asked was "have you had a sleep study".

You will probably be schedule for a future exam (the rating decision will note this), but if you still have OSA and need a CPAP, it's not a big deal.

Even if they require an initial sleep study, C&P, it's just another night in the sleep center. who knows, maybe your pressure will change.

good luck.

Thanks 12R3D. Yes, they have the BDD where I'm stationed. I will definitely use it. I love this site!

Edited by LILS