VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Filing Claim For Hysterectomy

Rate this question

Tanya

Question

http://www.veteranprograms.com/id1124.html

I am a first gulf war vet who is rated at 70% SC with IU T&P. I have had menstrual problems since before returning from the gulf. According to the above link, this is a presumptive for my group. I had an endometrial ablation April of 2006, it lasted a whole 6 months and the problems returned even worse. I have finally decided to do as the doctors have been wanting me to do since then and have a total hysterectomy, that is the only way the problems will be fixed. I have numerous fibroids which is the main cause of the increased pain and heavy bleeding. My problem is, I am going to have to file the claim on my own as my VSO says his supervisor will not let him do the claim. He is afraid that opening a new claim will make them look at all my recent medical conditions and possibly take my current rating away. I have ensured him that this won't happen as things have progressively worsened not gotten better, he still won't do it.

I have access to all the title 38 laws, M 21 manuals, and anything that is needed to file the claim as I am slowly taking a course online to become a VSO, but I cannot find many cases where this kind of claim has been filed, so I want to make sure I file it correctly.

Can anyone help with this? My surgery is October 6th and I want the paperwork done and ready to be submitted as soon as the operation is over.

Thank you,

Tanya

• Answers 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

1 answer to this question

The main thing is going to be to ensure your current medical problems are documented in your SMRs. Without that...it's an ugly uphill battle to get it SCd.

I've had the same ablation procedure you talk about....the problem is that there is a known failure rate for this procedure and the VA could use that against you...I don't know...just a guess. My doc told me I could have problems as much as a year later and have to resort to a full hysterectomy.

Very good documentation is the key. Be sure you have a full copy of your SMRs and all of your VA treatment records to start with.