VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Should I Submit A Nod For A 0% Rating For Hypertension?

Rate this question

Joep

Question

Should I submit a NOD for a 0% rating for hypertension?

On one hand, I think that if I lost 50 lbs or so, my BP may not require medications and I have a family history of high BP so I don’t place blame on the military or the VA for having this condition.

However, VA reps said I didn’t have it for my first 16 years of 26 in the military so I should claim it.

So I did and because my BP was often but perhaps not “Predominately” documented in my medical records with a diastolic of 100; I was given a 0% rating. About 5 years ago, still on active duty, they doubled my dosage to better control my BP.

Throughout the years, my BP would be taken, the diastolic would be over 100 so I would routinely be asked to sit for 5 min or so, then it would be taken again and be below 100. While in the military, I was given the 5-day BP tests on five occasions because of borderline/high BP. Once again, I would be told to sit quietly for 10-15 min, relax, and only then they would take the measurements. Since this measured my resting BP rate and much lower, they always decided to delay the start of BP medications. Only after years of this repetition did someone finally tell me I should have been started on medications years ago and intervened. Also throughout the years, my BP would be alarming high when using an automated BP cuff, so they would do it manually and I will get lower pressure readings.

Here is my question; I have little doubt that my BP is predominately over 100 without BP medication intervention and that I need these medications to be below 100. Even with the medications, my diastolic is most often in the mid 90’s. Thus, should I be rated at 10%?

I suppose the only way to know for sure is to stop taking the medications for a couple of weeks and get another 5 day test. This sounds a bit absurd but perhaps the only way to prove what I believe to be true.

I want to take full advantage of any VA entitlements but don’t want to abuse the system. I feel that I meet the criteria for a 10% rating but they way my BP was documented over the years, it was easy for the VA to say I didn’t qualify.

What would you do? What should I do?

Thanks;

JP

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

Depends if your BP meds are keeping it under control or not. Going off your BP meds just to show how bad you can be is a little off kilter.

Just like if I went off my depression meds to show how bad my depression could be. I would be rated P&T in two months since I would become suicidal I would be admitted into psych.

Heck though, don't hurt to file an NOD if you're at 0%. Watcha got to lose?

DH

Should I submit a NOD for a 0% rating for hypertension?

I suppose the only way to know for sure is to stop taking the medications for a couple of weeks and get another 5 day test. This sounds a bit absurd but perhaps the only way to prove what I believe to be true.

I want to take full advantage of any VA entitlements but don't want to abuse the system. I feel that I meet the criteria for a 10% rating but they way my BP was documented over the years, it was easy for the VA to say I didn't qualify.

What would you do? What should I do?

Thanks;

JP

• HadIt.com Elder

You seem like you have a good knowledge of your BP readings.

Here is what I did.

Take MS excel or a data processing program and make a chart.

Example

Item # Date taken Systolic Diastolic

1 1-1-75 140 100

2 1-2-75 150 102

DO your entire lifetime iif you have the records,

At the end, highlight the the BP colums and type in @average then hit enter then copy it to the next colum.

You should file a NOD. It soes not matter how you got it, you have it and it is no joke you have it. uif the readings are compensable then you should be compensated as it is not asking t he VA a favor to SC it, It is an earned benefit.

John