VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tbi Diagnosis

Rate this question

matt

Question

So today i had an appt with my Primary VA DR, who by the way is from India and speaks with broken english. I asked him for a few referrals, one being a TBI referral. i was denied due to not having a professional diagnosis. The Dr. told me that a TBI, is when you receive a blunt force blow to the head hence the term Traumatic. So we went back and forth, and finally i had had enough and told him if i dropped a concussion grenage in the room with us and we sustain no physcial injuries if he thought his brain would be affected. The sad fact is he still did not understand. Frigin idiot. i am so fed up with this guy. But finally he added the referral to my list after i told him the symtoms i thought i had that are connected to TBI. christ, now i have to do the Dr's job... sorry just venting..

Matt

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Matt:

Easy way is to go to Patient Advocate and ask them to help you get a new Doc.

Or you can make a request from the Head Doc at the VAMC.

It should not be to hard.

My suggestion is to not make it to personal. If they refuse ask for a Hearing or go to the Administrative Office hidden in a remote place and talk to them.

Good Luck

By the way the English is not a big a problem as the lack of understanding but a Primary Care Doc at VA mostly makes consults.

thanks all,

In the end my PCP gave me the referral after i told him my symptoms. i also told him that i think i had Irritable bowel syndrome and needed a referral it was another fight. dang, just wish they would do their job. i have 30 minutes total in the room witht he dr. 27 is taken up by his stupid questions going nowhere and i have 3 minutes to ask my wuestions hard to get the proper care in 3 minutes unless i camp out at the VA and see them everyday of the week. which i am prepared to do at this point.

I may look into private TBI IMO just due tot he trust issue. i have dealt with some really helpful people at the va(unfortunately those instances are one-offs)

Matt

Matt,

You do not need a referal from your PCP. You can self refer to the DVBIC and I recomend it.

The number to call is 1-800-870-9244.

Here is a link to the site.

Defence and Veterans Brain Injury Center

WHO MAY BE REFERRED TO THE DEFENSE AND VETERANS BRAIN INJURY CENTER (DVBIC)?

Any service member or veteran with a traumatic brain injury (TBI) who is covered by TRICARE or Veterans Affairs (VA) benefits may be referred to DVBIC.

WHO MAY REFER SOMEONE WITH TBI TO DVBIC?

We accept self-referrals as well as referrals from family members, primary care physicians, and other healthcare providers.

HOW CAN YOU REFER A PATIENT TO DVBIC?

To begin the referral process,use our Interactive Map to call the DVBIC regional office nearest to you. You can also use our Contact Us form or call 800.870.9244 and our headquarters will direct you to the appropriate staff member.

HOW CAN WE HELP?

DVBIC clincial care can address the needs of service members and veterans who sustain injuries through events that often affect the civilian population (motor vehicle crashes, falls, etc.) as well as incidents usually more unique to a military setting (blast/explosion, penetrating shrapnel, paratrooper injuries).

TBI may result in a broad range of physical, cognitive, behavioral, emotional and social challenges. DVBIC is committed to providing excellence in care that addresses the wide- ranging needs of patients and their families. We work to provide services and support to help the individual with TBI return to duty, work and community. Individualized evidence-based treatment and expert case management and care coordination serve to maximize function and decrease TBI-related disability.

Time,

Where you been hiding these links Bro ?

carlie

LOL, I havn't been.

They have been been posted in this forum before. Both links have threads to themselves here in the tbi forum.

Edited by timetowinarace