VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I Have Been Warned By Va..

Rate this question

mako25

Question

Some of you here know my story from earlier thread (Please Help) well anyway still waiting on anything from my RO (Philly) my award for TDIU was granted by Washington 02 June 09.Well after numerous 1-800...phone calls and now two visits to my RO I can not get a answer as to even where my case is at this time..My last visit to the RO was this past Mon. a total waste of time the person at the desk told me if I don't have a reply by Oct. 15th to call back..Ohhh God. Well this is pretty serious now financially and health wise, its to the point that with winter approaching I don't have the bread to heat my house.So I mentioned that I may go my my local state representative, with that the person said "you don't want to do that" because it will cause your file to go from maybe the top of one pile to the bottom of another.How can this go on in a organization that is set up by our federal government to our Veterans in a time of need??

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Make sure you treat yourself first for having to go through all this..........Also, if you donate any money make sure you do your research on the charity to make sure they have a good track record and are legit. As much as were are caring folks we can easily let our heart take over our mind.

dh

I have to be honest with you here I was one of the ignorant people that use to say "ahh that guys a drunk" he needs to help himself get on his feet. I use to think some Vets used the military as an excuse as to why the were homeless and panning for money.Well shame on me ,this is real and this is going on right here in the greatest country in the world. What I am going through makes me realize how easy it is to become one of the people I use to look down on. I don't believe I will have the money to donate to an organization but I sure will have the time to donate for the Vets. This is a real life changing ordeal I am going through right now and has me humbled.

mako,

Apply now for any assistance available; don't wait until it's a crisis.

Here is a link from Pennsylvania Veteran's Benefits here on Hadit:

Veterans Emergency Assistance Back to Veterans' Benefits

Purpose: Provides financial aid in an emergency and on a temporary basis (not to exceed three months in a 12-month period) to veterans and their beneficiaries who reside in Pennsylvania for the necessities of life (food, dairy, shelter, fuel and clothing).

Veteran's eligibility criteria:

• An honorably discharged veteran.
  • Served during established war service dates as determined by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs.
    **The following decorations can also be used to establish wartime service: Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal or Navy Expeditionary Medal
  • Must be a Pennsylvania resident.
  • Unexpected loss of income within 180 days of application through no fault of the individual.
  • May not be on Public Assistance.
  • Must have a financial need.
  • Upon the recent death of a veteran, their spouse or orphaned children are eligible provided the veteran would have qualified prior to his/her death.

Payments:

If eligible, a veteran or their beneficiary is entitled to a total of three checks during a 12-month period. Rates are paid according to the number of persons in a household and the county in which they reside:

(More info on site HERE)

I did use my Senator to expidite my claim and did get results.

However, I was about to lose my house. I wrote my Senator and explained in detail of the ridiculous denials I recieved from VARO. I also explained I was about to lose my home. I then explained that when I bought my home I intended to grow old and die in it. I explained that I still intend to die in my home whether I was old or not. I explained that I would turn over my VA paperwork, including my correspondence with his office, to the media and my house would be the next national police standoff story when they came to evict me. I would die in my home. The only reason I could not make payments was due to VA misdeeds.

My claim went quickly after that. But, the thing was, I meant it. I had been through enough.

As a retired state veterans service officer and later supervisor, I have to agree with the advice given about contacting politicians. Politicians mean well when they want to help us veterans, but they and most veterans do not know that if any politician inquires about an unfinished claim, no matter how far along the process is or how long it has taken, the file must be removed from where it is and placed in the Congressional Inquiry stack AT THE BOTTOM. I have seen this tragedy happen time and time again. I cannot read other peoples' minds, but if I had to make any bets, I'd bet all I had and then some that most VA claims processors love it when they can ditch a claim to the Congressional Inquiry stack. It means they no longer have to fool with it, at least within the very near future. The time to get politicians interested should never be after a claim has already been granted. Just my experience talking.

• HadIt.com Elder

mako25,

I know your situation is desperate, but I would put no faith in the DVA coming through when you need it the most. Even if you have an award.

You should apply for federal energy assistance program today. You may have to file this through a county agency. Check around there are temporary energy programs to help those in need.

Getting a state Rep involved may delay your claim up to two yrs.

Hang in there.

Allan

There, for the grace of God go I.

Edited by allan