VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Chronic Back Pain With Arthritis. All I Get Is Ibuprofen And Motrin

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Ask for a referral to the VA pain clinic. Be sure to rate your pain on a scale of one to ten as at least a seven. You have to complain like hell. Tell them your pain wakes you up at night and you have pain 24/7 that is making your life miserable. The next step is to get a psychiatric referral for chronic pain disorder.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bob it has been several months now since your last update, how are you doing now?

I have had cronic lower back issues for 36 years now and I have been rated at 60% for several years. I have been up and down the medical gammet several times and have been prescribed anywhere from bio-fed back to demral injections, I have never had surgery because I always felt that science was not up to speed enough to be successful. I have used VA and private insurance companies and VA does do it on the cheap side and is behind the private sector on the technolegy side. It does not matter which one you go to (VA or Private), some doctor are in it for the money and don't really care about you and some do a fantastic job, I have found the best thing to do is be honest about your pain and about what you expect them to do. I have finally got tired of the pain and always making it worse so I have put in for my 100% unemployable.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

John999's right. You have to complain a lot. I got a referral to the pain clinic, but the pain clinic closed out my request without any reason or even seeing me. I have an appointment later in the week, so I plan to do some more complaining. The service I got was a complete lack of service.

• HadIt.com Elder

I went to my VA pain clinic and on 2 different occasions I crashed during the injections in the Neck.

They scheduled me a return trip but I cancelled and asked for some pain meds. I got the old you need to see your primary care doc for that one.

Cant win for losing. cant getmeds and if I have the shots, I may crash again and not return.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

jbasser,

That happened to me when I was getting an injection into my shoulder. I passed out cold because it hurt so bad. The next day, my shoulder froze up and I was in serious pain.

BTW Ibuprofin is generic for Motrin. I only got tyl#3 in the 80's from the VA. The last 7+ nothing more than ibuprofin 800mg, so all these yrs been seeing own private dr's as have since early 70's and 80's too. Get hydrocodone and fentanyl from them. Have to pay over $110 for dr visits to keep geting the scrips. The VA Pain Dr did try an epidural steroid injection with no results 2+ yrs ago. He left, still waiting for another. Told him I had received the steroid injection yrs prior via neurologist, but he thought he was a better dr, and it would work. NOTTA!!

Good luck in your quest to find a Dr who can/will order you more appropriate medication, ones that may assist in the allieviation of pain, or which may give you some relief.