VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Increase From 70%scd For Ptsd To 100% While Still Working Full-time

Rate this question

Guest Cliph

Question

I am a Vietnam Veteran and currently rated at 70% SCD for PTSD alone (no other disabilities). I love my work and feel that it's theraputic for me to continue working. Since my last C&P (2001), some of my symptoms have gotten worse and some new ones appeared. Is it possible to be awarded 100% SCD for PTSD while still employed full-time? What would be the salient points to cover in such a C&P?

Thank you for your attention.

Redcatcher, 67-68 11B-RTO

I tried to go back to work about a year ago running a tow truck. I almost wrecked from getting confused all of a sudden between the clutch and brake. Vertigo got the better of me. (Simple motor skills failure)

I made like 300 bucks and that happened. I realized that if I got in a wreck and seriously hurt someone, or God forbid killed em on accident through my inability to think straight Most of the time (which is why I pop in and out of the forum on an inconsistant basis), that it wouldn't take much investigating to put me in jail due to what's documented in my med records. DOT would have rubber stamped me, and passed me onto the district atty. for prosecuting. No doubt about it let alone losing benefits.

I agree 150%. Not worth it.

Sometime the side effects are worse, I know. I've been on a crazy bouquet of em myself. Couldn't take the added alements of the side effects because I have a notorious gift of building up tolerances to any meds. Even blood pressure meds.

I am a medical cannabis user now (legal in colorado if approved by dr. Am registered with the state to buy at dispenseries. Only specific strains work, and they are definately not for partying. I ingest in the form of a tincture syrup, inturn reducing the addictive euphoric effect). Have had good results with decreasing the anxiety. Problem is, I build up a tolerance quicker than traditional meds. Have to skip days.

VA knows all about this, and I have an internal med dr. now that is friendly to it. Another vet reffered me, and I changed PCPs to him. I told the Denver call center guy that he is alternative medicine friendly, and he knew exactly what I was talkin about when I was requesting to switch lol. Dr. comes in to the VAMC two days a week to see vets, and has another private practice in town. My brother works at another hospital here close to were we live, and he is happy with the little bit of relief he has seen in me as a result. Findin the right strain is the hard, and dangerous part though. I wouldn't recommend it to just anyone who is dealing with mental illness because of the added paranoia that some people may experience if they take too high of a dose, or a strain that doesn't agree with em.

Needless to say I don't drive when medicated, but it has cut my time of being fueled by adrenaline almost in half, which my body is thanking me for big time.

Applying for 100% PTSD would be a waste of time if you are working full-time. For 100% you have to have TOTAL occupational impairment. Here's the 100% rating criteria.

General Rating Formula for Mental Disorders:

Total occupational and social impairment, due to such symptoms as:

gross impairment in thought processes or communication;

persistent delusions or hallucinations; grossly inappropriate

behavior; persistent danger of hurting self or others; intermittent

inability to perform activities of daily living (including maintenance

of minimal personal hygiene); disorientation to time or place; memory

loss for names of close relatives, own occupation, or own name 100

dh

• HadIt.com Elder

This has been discussed many times but I think its mostly wishfull thinking of 100% disabled Veterans hoping that they can work. Yes I think some could get a job but could they hold it for any length of time.

Working will in most cases get the VA to reconsider your 100% and I invite all to read the criteria for 100% and show that a Veteran who is rated thus could work.

Being rated 100% is a blow although a victory at the same time. However we have to accept what is and make the best of it.

If you want to get out of the house and do something consider volunteer work.

If you are 70% service connected and able to work than good for you. Most who are 70% apply for P&T, PTIU because they are so unable to work...they are severely impaired..but if you can still function well in a work place and that works for you, don't rock the boat. Keep what you have and like john and pete said above when you no longer can work, the option to file for the increase is there. Glad you can still function in a working capacity too. :D

I am a Vietnam Veteran and currently rated at 70% SCD for PTSD alone (no other disabilities). I love my work and feel that it's theraputic for me to continue working. Since my last C&P (2001), some of my symptoms have gotten worse and some new ones appeared. Is it possible to be awarded 100% SCD for PTSD while still employed full-time? What would be the salient points to cover in such a C&P?

Thank you for your attention.

Redcatcher, 67-68 11B-RTO