VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Amc-bva

Rate this question

VetsLady

Question

Hubby has a claim that was remanded back in March 09 for further development. Further development is done. AMC now has the claim and we are told it went to rating/decision on 9/10/09. Is there any reason why we can't call AMC to inquire as to the status of the claim? Don't want to step on toes, irritate anyone there and definetly want to keep a sharp eye on this. I received conflicting information elsewhere that AMC makes the decision then sends it on to BVA for final approval. Then, from another source, I'm advised that AMC will either approve or deny and should they approve, they will be the division that rates the claim. These were both from

1-800, who I know don't have the up-to-date info in their systems. I'd like to call the AMC directly - ideas?

Thank-you....

VetsLady

• Answers 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

P.S.

Re: the SSD, he filed immediately after he had to stop working, and was approved 1st submission. Different ducks with SS than VA. He had 4-5 disabling conditions on his SSD app, SSD picked 1, as you know, you have to be 100% disabled for SSD no matter what. When he filed SSD, it was Jan '06, he began receiving his benefits in June '06 and he was SC for the DM2 in April '08.

And, I will take responsibility for this.......learn from those before you, we had no idea the SO or VA was not obtaining all the evidence we needed for the claimed issues. When they made the SC for the DM2, they did so with medrecs through mid '04. It's no wonder this claim has taken this long. Once I realized this wasn't being done on our behalf, I stepped in, gathered all of the additional evidence, organized it, tagged the different providersm basically made it pretty easy for a claim adjudicator to follow along. I had worked for an attorney and ran my husbands business for 20 years so organizational skills with mountains of paperwork was a snap for me to put together the story, to string the pieces together in an order that made sense. SO never sent it in, lo and behold, I brought a 2nd copy to the BVA hearing, VLJ commanded me for my efforts and the SO when we arrived at her office told me she'd never even seen this info. This was the 1st time we'd met this lady as she was in Seattle and we are in Tacoma. She made a fool of herself basically.

: )

• HadIt.com Elder

VetsLady,

I have heard that some vets with terminal illnesses are getting expedited. So maybe it will get resolved without much more delay. Keep it out of the hands of the regional office raters. As soon as your final SOC from the BVA is issued, hire an attorney for the CAVC. The court doesn't make the same intentional error's the VARO's do.

My claim went to the AMC when it first opened and I just received my final SOC in May 2009. They spent years Dr shopping for IMO's.

They would send my records out for one, then I would, They would request another C&P since mine was fully favorable & it would come back denied.

Than I would get another IMO & so on and so on.

So they decided to request one more. They only requested an IMO for one of six issues thats been on record for more than a decade, & when it came back favorable they issued the final SOC. My guess is they are hoping to give me a 0% and call it good.

I'm hoping my attorney will open a few books for them to digest.

Allan

• HadIt.com Elder

Vets Lady:

I was trying to give you my understanding of how AMC works. It was originally set up to be the BVA's VARO to develop a claim so that they could shorten the time Veterans were waiting. At that time BVA was not near as busy as the VARO's and the original intention was to knock out some of the back logged claims. They were sued by PVA and another service organization and had to change the plan.

In my opinion it became another bottleneck

Now I will confirm that if the AMC decides to award your claim and they can it still has to go back to Alaska to have your VARO finish it.

Sorry but that is the way they roll

So are you saying that the order goes: BVA to AMC, develope claim, claim development done, back to AMC, decision, if yeah it goes to VARO for %, if neah it goes to BVA for another looky-loo and a yes vote. BVA denies, we are back on the merry go-round. BVA approves/overturns AMC, it goes to VARO for %.

We've been at this since Feb. 03, I know many of you have been at it longer. It's horrible.

What a disgrace to the Veteran. It's not a pay issue, it's a disability issue. Most tort cases in court don't go this long.

Wow. I'm keeping my glass half full. I hoipe it pans out as a positive, I hope with all my heart it does for everyone who is deserving as well.

My glass is half full and I keep adding to it when it goes down. We waited from 2/03 to 4/08 to have the VA finally agree that my husband set foot

on soil in DaNang. Top Secret stuff. And, they say a picture tells a thousand stories. It sure did when it came down to a yeah on his SC for DM2.

Wishing you all a pleasant day.