VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Amc-bva

Rate this question

VetsLady

Question

Hubby has a claim that was remanded back in March 09 for further development. Further development is done. AMC now has the claim and we are told it went to rating/decision on 9/10/09. Is there any reason why we can't call AMC to inquire as to the status of the claim? Don't want to step on toes, irritate anyone there and definetly want to keep a sharp eye on this. I received conflicting information elsewhere that AMC makes the decision then sends it on to BVA for final approval. Then, from another source, I'm advised that AMC will either approve or deny and should they approve, they will be the division that rates the claim. These were both from

1-800, who I know don't have the up-to-date info in their systems. I'd like to call the AMC directly - ideas?

Thank-you....

VetsLady

• Answers 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Yes, Vets Lady - the same thing happened to me, and I did just what Wings said...I got my return receipt in the mail today...

Good luck! We both need it to go with our brains and efforts!

AkWidow

• HadIt.com Elder

Try to include a copy of the doctor's letter the BVA said was new and material evidence, and the outpatient record from NAS if you can in your notice of disagreement.

Hang in there. It takes alot of patience.

Allan

"I spoke to the Rep and she told me the same thing and that the claim file does go back

to the BVA but only to verify that what the remand said was done"

If the AMC denies the claim.

If the AMC does NOT follow the remand (they did this to me and I only knew it because I breathed down their necks over the remand and what it called for and contacted the C & P opiner myself and took other action too)

The vet or widow should do ALL they can to follow the remand themselves.

What I mean is BVA remanded me for cardiologist opinion.

When I found out I was instead getting a cardio opinion from a PA- I ordered my own cardio opinion.

I also sent full rebuttal to the BVA as soon as I got the VA PA's opinion.

This all happened very fast.

I called the cardio to see the status of his IMO and found he had just gotten my evidence! IMos do take time.

I was worried I would not get his IMO in time for BVA to address it.Time was of the essense for me. One cannot supply more medical evidence to the CAVC if they have to continue the claim at that level.

I had 3 IM0s already and one negative C & P opinion but the BVA ordered a second C & P opinion.

As time encroached -forget what deadline they me- 3o days I think? At least I had strongly rebutted his recent cardio opinion already with medical evidence -line by line and the BVA had my rebuttal.

I was sweating out the cardio IMO coming in time- but fully confident it would support my claim.

Then the BVA envelope came-I had won-and the cardio doc IMO people refunded half of my IMO fee.

They didnt have to per the agreement I signed with them.

In my opinion The AMC is just a glorified VARO-some AMCers can read and many cant.

It is just one more step in the VA's MOS of Stalling.

If there is anything whatsoever a vet or widow can obtain to satisfy the remand, they need to do it and not wait for the VA to maybe do it or not.

As the BVA has said the claims process is not a one way street and we MUST be proactive or we will lose our claims.

Neither the Buffalo VARO, nor the AMCm nor the Seattle Varo they farmed it out to ever read ANY of my medical evidence.In 6 YEARS.

But I can assure you that BVA read it all.

Edited by Berta

What I think I would do is find a VSO that is in the same building as the AMC, they can access your file and tell you what is going on. American Legion has an office, not sure who else.

I had a American Legion VSO, not mine, get a little upset when I told him how long my file had been at the AMC with no action, he went looking for my file and found it in a storage area, blew off the dust and got it moving thru the system again. My VSO at the time was the State of California and they told they have no rep at AMC and could not get any claim info for me.

I would try hard to get A VSO that's in the same building as the AMC and keep a close eye on the file.

These people do not want to be found. There's no direct phone line given to the public, even the address is incorrect, their letterhead says Eye street, but actually they are located on "I" street in DC.

• HadIt.com Elder

My claims file was stuffed in a locker at the AMC for nearly a yr.

Someone in management finally found it. She said she had know idea how it ended up where it did. I suggested she check to see who it was assigned to last to find out what happened to it.

Its funny how they continually play with their computers as to whats happening with your claim on this date or that date, when all it's doing is collecting dust.

When requesting a reply, I had the VA use the "eye" street address ploy, on how to make your NOD late, several times.

They play dirty little games on Vets while completely ignoring credible evidence. It's all designed to look like their working hard to "accurately" process your claim in a non- adversarial manner. Than they blame the backlog on returning troops or the economy.

Just look at whats being done to our returning troops. They make claims they're giving them the best care & look at what they end up receiving.

Our returning troops & all Veterans & Veterans Widows lives, are in the hands of bean counters. It's nothing for them to see billions being wasted to corporate contracts, but heaven forbid a dime being spent to make sure our returning troops see well trained, experienced psychiatrists or put a stop to intentional claim delays.

It IS intentional or they are all simply incompetent.

Yeah the EYE Street, "I" street thing bothered me too so I sent my stuff to "I" street and EYE street BUT most importantly I sent it the same day to the BVA too.

I have a decision here Allan from AMC- an award- that I think will comeback to kick the vet in the ass.

I found nothing whatsoever in his claim that warranted this unusual award.

Then again maybe there was a lot more evidence never listed by the AMC-possible-

but I called a lawyer at NVLSP about it and emailed it to him and he too was astonished at the award.So I wasnt going nuts when I noticed how bizarre it was.

I dont begrudge the vet but cannot comprehend at all how he was awarded for AO.Neither Could NVLSP.

VARO decisions and I assume AMC decisions are sometimes reviewed-maybe this is the STAR program they came up with years ago?

If this case is ever reviewed or the vet re-opens- I foresee the VA calling CUE on itself and proposing to reduce his comp.

The decision does piss me off because the AMC denies so many fully valid claims with plenty of evidence.

They chose to read one piece of evidence this vet had-

and awarded. I had a sh-t load of strong medical evidence and IMOs and they didnt read a thing.

Makes one wonder who runs the AMC show