VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tbi C&p Yesterday

Rate this question

bufloguy

Question

Just had my C&P for TBI due to MVA 20 years ago. The examiner stated she read my c-file, and thanked me for putting together such a "great" claims package. She asked a few questions about the accident itself, memory, headaches, ect. Then checked my reflexes, vision, and asked about my sense of smell. On my way out the door, she stated that I was SC for TBI, and the RO willl decide my %. All totaled the exam was 7:36.

Does this sound right?

• Answers 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

J

Your correct the evidence necissary for SC may be of record already. Actually it HAS to be of record if the injury is 20 years old.

From the verbal statement made, it appears the nexus is made and SC should not be a problem.

However, If this veteran has not had the testing I asked about, the rating is limited by law. This area of consideration is one the VA routinely ignores in tbi claims. It is the most common reason for lowball ratings. If this veteran has not had this testing then the examiner could not have completed number 7 below in seven minutes.

7.Cognitive impairment. Conduct a screening examination (such as the Montreal Cognitive Assessment (MOCA) or Mini-Mental State Examination (MMSE)) to assess cognitive impairment and report results and their significance. Does the screening show problems with memory, concentration, attention, executive functions, etc.? If yes, neuropsychological testing to confirm the presence and extent of cognitive impairment is needed, unless already conducted and of record. Include test results in the examination report.

Edited by timetowinarace

Thanks to all who answered!

I've taken the following tests:

Tests administered: Neuropsychological Screening Exam, Beck Depression Inventory-2 (BDI), Beck Anxiety Index (BAI), PTSD Checklist (PCL-M), Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Interview - 2 (MMPI-2), Clinical interview, Collateral report, Chart review.

Here are the results:

Average skills were noted in confrontation naming, letter and categoryfluency, reading (post high school level), repetition, digit repetition, serial subtraction (three and seven), design copy and clock drawing and setting.

Digit reversal, delayed recall of a story, and visual incidental recall and new learning were mildly impaired but within normal limits.

Moderate deficiency was noted in visuomotor scanning, story learning, visual delayed recall and verbal absurdities.

Visuomotor sequencing and 12-word list learning and delayed recall and recognition were severely compromised.

Responses on the BDI-2 were indicative of severe depression (33/63). Mr. endorsed the severe symptoms of crying, changes in sleeping patterns, and

irritability. He also identified nine moderate and five mild symptoms of depression.

On the BAI, the patient scored in the moderate to severe range of anxiety (24/63). He endorsed seven moderate symptoms of anxiety.

Responses on the PCL-M met criteria B, C and D for a DSM-IV diagnosis of PTSD.

MMPI-2:

Test-Taking Behaviors: Items were endorsed consistently and accurately. There are no indications of either a very positive or negative self-description

that would impact the interpretation of the MMPI-2. Moods: He reported experiencing a moderate level of emotional distress characterized by dysphoric mood, guilt and anxiety. He is often irritable and grouchy, experiences little pleasure from life, is a chronic worrier, and broods and ruminates about himself and his problems. He is likely to overreact to minor stress with agitation, guilt, and self-punishment. His feelings are easily hurt.

He easily becomes impatient with other people and he gets angry with himself for giving in to others so much. He has become so angry he does not know what to do with himself and feels he will explode at times.

Cognitions: He reported a number of problems with attention, concentration and memory. He is lacking in self-confidence and believes he is not as good as other people. He has a hard time making decisions and usually has to stop and think before acting even in small matters. He thinks often about his perceived personal deficiencies. His inertia and lack of drive reflect his depressive cognitions and negative expectations.

Interpersonal Relations:He reported that he is introverted and easily embarrassed. He is passive and dependent and unlikely to be assertive. He is feeling alienated from himself and members of his family.

• HadIt.com Elder

I'm thinking (positively), that your claim was well developed at the RO, and the C&P was a procedural neccesity: you may have had all the medical evidence already of record prior to the C&P, and she only needed to review the medical record. Good luck and God Bless. ~Wings

Edited by Wings