VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Increase

Rate this question

sandboxsquid

Question

I'm currently at 30% for PTSD, and I'm ready to file for an increase. Nightmares have gotten worse, insomnia is the norm, intrusive thoughts throughout the day, bouncing from job to job, realtionship with the wife is getting rockier by the day, etc. (you get the picture) My question is will another C&P exam need to be performed? I am currently receiving counseling from a VA social worker twice monthly and have a VA shrink dispensing the meds, so my file would be an open book for them to review. Any info you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

• Answers 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

sandboxsquid - I don't recall your award date but why would you request an increase over a appeal(NOD) of the original award?? They'll probably do another C&P, if it's been a yr or more since the previous exam. You should read the ratings criteria to see what level of award you meet. Remember you need not meet all the criteria at a particular percentage to receive that award.

pr

I'm currently at 30% for PTSD, and I'm ready to file for an increase. Nightmares have gotten worse, insomnia is the norm, intrusive thoughts throughout the day, bouncing from job to job, realtionship with the wife is getting rockier by the day, etc. (you get the picture) My question is will another C&P exam need to be performed? I am currently receiving counseling from a VA social worker twice monthly and have a VA shrink dispensing the meds, so my file would be an open book for them to review. Any info you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

I got an increase from 30% to 50% (the 30% was major depressive disorder, the 50% was depression plus PTSD) without a C&P. I was overwhelmed with worsening symptoms, and when suicidal thoughts entered the picture I got my (behind) over to my local VAMC for obvious reasons. Increase was the last thing on my mind; I needed help.

They took my concerns seriously and saw me immediately (yes, and had me under constant observation too). I was seen by a psychologist (who diagnosed PTSD based on my previous C&P plus new symptoms) and a psychiatrist who concurred. The psychiatrist point blank said to file for an increase and prescribed me three additional medications. He also noted some marks under my eyes, told me they were xanthomata (indicators of high cholesterol) and ordered bloodwork on me.

The stressor was already a matter of record (medal, SMR and VA medical records). I did the online claim the next day, and they upgraded me 10 weeks later.

Short version: No C&P and I still got an upgrade per evidence of record. Your mileage may vary.

It has been over a year since my award, and I went through my C&P originally back in early 2008. My stressors, medals, and all things connected are already a matter of record as well, so I think I'm just going to fillout the online claim as well. If I have to go through another C&P exam, so be it.

• HadIt.com Elder

The online claim thing is for new claims I believe. For an increase all you have to do is write a letter to your VARO and tell them you request a higher rating because your disability has gotten worse. You need evidence to show it has gotten worse, but you don't have to reinvent the wheel.

• HadIt.com Elder

I just remembered, if you are requesting an increase, the VA is required to give you a C&P. Also, there used to be CAVC case law that may help you get around the one yr NOD thing. It had to do w/something like the assumption that the claimant was seeking the highest rating possible and if it wasn't awarded it was automatically considered appealed, or something like that. Someone else may be able to quote the case.

pr