VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tbi In Rating Board

Rate this question

rwkirk30

Question

I, as most you, received my letter for increase of my current TBI rating. I am currently rated at 10 percent for headaches and 10 percent for the plate in my head. I was sent to see a Doctor and a pshycologist for my examination. Here is where I am becoming impatient and wondering if it normal. My case went to the ratings board on July 28th and still I have no decision.

Is this normal or should I be concerned?

Has anyone received an increase for their TBI?

Thank you in advance for your help.

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Have you had a neuro psych test yet?  Give a little bit more on your condition and evaluations of the condition that have been conducted by the VA or others.

I, as most you, received my letter for increase of my current TBI rating. I am currently rated at 10 percent for headaches and 10 percent for the plate in my head. I was sent to see a Doctor and a pshycologist for my examination. Here is where I am becoming impatient and wondering if it normal. My case went to the ratings board on July 28th and still I have no decision.

Is this normal or should I be concerned?

Has anyone received an increase for their TBI?

Thank you in advance for your help.

rwkirk,

Apparently you were rated for TBI prior to the changes made to

Diagnostic Code 8045, in Oct 2008.

This new rating criteria is more adventageous for the veteran.

You posted you recieve 10 % SC for the plate in your head.

Do you know what Diagnostic Code that is rated under ?

carlie

The code for the skull defect is 5296........I went to my regional office and asked for my c&p since it was done by a contractor(MES) for the VA they told me it could take up to six months to recieve a copy. The VSR I spoke with could read a copy of my exam but would only tell me that my physical came back normal. He would not tell me the results of the psychiatric evaluation. I asked why I was never rated for my scar and he said that I was but was 0% I guess they now have new rating for head scars and mine is over 13cm in length so I am anticipating getting a 10% or greater rating for that one. My original rating in 1992 was as follows

8045 Brain disease with trauma 10

5296 Skull defect area smaller than a 25 cent piece 10

total rating 20

Should I anticipate an increase or prepare for an appeal?

Well, the time frame for decisions is slooowwwww with the current backlog, so that is normal.

bigoc and Carlie asked valid questions.

I don't know of anyone personally(or on this board) that has been re-evaluated and re-rated with an increase from the new regs yet. I would suggest reading up on TBI residuals(symptoms) to see what fits your situation. Compare your symptoms to the rating criteria so you'll know if you get a fair rating when you do get it. There is allot of information in this forum and links to more resources. Just read through the past posts.

rwkirk,

Apparently you were rated for TBI prior to the changes made to

Diagnostic Code 8045, in Oct 2008.

This new rating criteria is more adventageous for the veteran.

You posted you recieve 10 % SC for the plate in your head.

Do you know what Diagnostic Code that is rated under ?

carlie

I don't know for sure but I'd think one of the 10% ratings has to be under 8045. Otherwise, I don't think he would have recieved the letter.(I don't have a 8045 rating and never recieved the letter) It could be either one as headaches were rated as residuals of tbi and not seperatley before, so probably the headaches.