VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Axis I Ptsd And Bi-polar Ii

Rate this question

sgmdae

Question

How does Axis II effect the rating of Axis I PTSD

Under Axit II, they DX personality disorder NOS, anti-social features

My ? is, does Axis II, effect the rating of of Axis I, PTSD

Edited by sgmdae

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

Many psychiatric disorders cause people to have "inappropriate behavior" as a symptom.

Bipolar is WAY, WAY overused in society today. You'll often hear my "husband or wife is Bipolar".

Yet, Bipolar has 2 main facets to it. A 'Manic' state and 'Depressive' state both which occur at different times in a person. The 'Manic' state can not go unnoticed. Mood swings are not considered 'Manic' behaviors.

If a person does not fit into this category they are more likley than not Bi-polar, but suffering from PTSD Axis I or some other disorder. Almost all psychiatric disorders are easily recognized by a professional because they have one, two or three strong hallmark traits. B)

How does Axis II effect the rating of Axis I PTSD

I read the inapproiate behavior is a symtom of PTSD, but they place the behavior under Axis II ????

• HadIt.com Elder

Nope it is not. There are many Vets who have the infamous personality disorder that is not connectible but have Service Connection because they have PTSD or some ratable condition.

AXIS 1 Chronic Anxiety Severe

AXIS 11 Personality Disorder NOS.

AXIS 111

AXIS 1V

GAF 40

No Basis for PD NOS

100% P&T for Chronic Anxiety Severe.

Thank you Josephine

What do you thing the major deciding factor was on your rating

• HadIt.com Elder

It is a very long story that the older members are aware of.

The Regional Office denied me as having a Personality Disorder.

I appealed to the BVA and remanded to the AMC and denied. Claims file went back to BVA.

I traveled to Washington D. C to a Forensic and Clinical Psychiatry Expert for a Complete

Independent Medical Opinion.

I sent him all my records for him to study for at least two weeks before I met him in person.

It was these words that the BVA Judge used to make his decision.

My review of the records show no documentation which would support the diagnosis of Personality Disorder. There simply are no data which would support that diagnosis under the criteria provided in the Diagnostic and Stastical Manual of the American Psychiatric Association.

No psychological or personality testing was done. There was never any showing of an " enduring pattern of inner experience and behavior that deviates markedly from the expectations of the individual's culture... is inflexible and pervasive across a broad range of personal and social situations... is stable and of long duration... (and) is not better accounted for as a manifestation or consequence of another mental disorder." DSM IV TR, pages 287 - 288.

The " other mental disorder" which she clearly *DID* and *DOES *have, and for which she has been treated for 43 years, is *Anxiety Disorder. *

The veteran had no childhood psychiatric, difficulties or treatment, Her anxiety disorder began during her time in service. She has been treated for anxiety disorder for 43 years by a number of physicians.

*Diagnosis: *300.00 Anxiety Disorder, NOS,Chronic, Severe, with Depressive Features.

This chronic, and in this veterans' case, disabling, mental disorder first manifested itself while in service and has required treatment ever since. There is no evidence to support the diagnosis of personality disorder made in 1964 and used as a basis for her separation from service.

Sincerely.

B. Cxxx M.D. D.L.F.P.A.

The reason I do believe that this happend to me was the 16 years of retro pay involved in

my claim.

I have no reason to believe you will have to go through any of the steps that I did.

Always,

Betty

Edited by Josephine