VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

H1n1 Vaccine.

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder
You know the troops from WWI brought the Flu back to the states with them. It killed young healthy people. My mother who was born in Ireland said she remembered the hearses going by in long lines when she was just a child. It was the Flue of 1918. Picture this: A guy going down your street with a wagon or truck ringing a bell.....Bong, bong....bring out your dead. Bring out your dead. Like the black death. You know the 1918 Flu still exists in certain high security labs. They obtained it from the corpes of dead WWI vets and cultured it. This was decades after because the army took tissue samples, and the flu was still alive.

My Grandmother died of it. She was Native American and it struck the Native American and other indigenous peoples throughout the world especially hard. The Inuit and Eskimo populations were almost totally destroyed, same in Samoa and the Hawaian Islands.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Unless something more conclusive comes up between now and then... I'll get the shot.

The chemo treatment has temporarily put a dent in my immune system

Edited by Commander Bob 92-93

• HadIt.com Elder

x

x

x

I had the FLU in September; could not breathe for 3 days. Took Prednasone and Albuteral inhaler (never had these meds in my life) . . . I am not going to take the "shot because I think my immune system just survived (barely) the H1N1 --- the VA didn't have the vaccine anyway (I did go in), nor did they offer to test me for the virus. ~Wings

• HadIt.com Elder

I would like to share with you all, something that happened to my wife around labor day. It shows things are not always what they seem.

A few days before labor day my wife, started feeling ill sore throat, febrile, etc.. I take her to her primary, doc say's she is 99% sure that my wife has swin flu and prescribes TAMIFLU. the doc also took a swab to test for swine flu. Takes the first dose on Friday, Saturday she starts getting violently ill vomiting, numbness in hands, severe back pains, still febrile. Sunday morning she decides not to take any more TAMIFLU, I said she should call the doc and tell her that she stopped taking the TAMIFLU, that didn't happen. Monday, I wake up and find her on the couch in a manic state and rocking back and forth, I say thats it were going to the hospital, my wife did not want to go and had to get her brother and sister to intervene. Her brother is in a top position at one of the hospitals in the area ( this became relevant later). Ok, get her to emergency room, they put her on IV, antibiotics etc., do a lab workup. They initially thought maybe swine flu, but after the H1N1 test came back negative, that is ruled out. Then it started getting complicated, she was anemic, dehydrated still febrile. They were looking at kidney stones, gall bladder, liver and after almost a week in the hospital, still no diagnose. By Saturday she was feeling much better and the blood work was coming back normal and decided to take her off the antibiotics and pain meds for the back. They were going to release her Sunday. Early Sunday morning she woke up with 104 fever and severe back pain. Put her back on the IV'S. This is where her brother steps in and started talking with the infectious disease doc, who is supposed to be a genius. The doc starts asking if my wife has had any dental work recently, no she said, but did have a tooth ache a couple of weeks ago. Also, my wife has a heart murmur. This doctor finally put the dots together and found it was endocarditis. That means one of the valves had an infection cluster and was allowing the blood to flow back ino the heart. After everything was stabalized they released her on Tuesday. For the past month she has had a pick in her arm and has had to take a very stron antibiotic intraveneously for the past four weeks. She had the pick/stent taken out last Friday. Today she said this is the first day that she feels normal. By the way the doctors said she is very lucky that she had the back pain and came to the hospital, because most people do not have any symptoms with endocarditis until it is to late and wind up having surgery or worse. So the bottom line is if you have any type of heart condition, aside from high blood pressure. When you have your teeth cleaned, dental work of any kind, colonoscopy anything invasive you "need" to take antibiotics before the procedure. This is contrary to memo's and information that is going around at dental offices and some hospitals. I was trying to make this short as posibble, sorry.

t&b

• HadIt.com Elder
x

x

x

I had the FLU in September; could not breathe for 3 days. Took Prednasone and Albuteral inhaler (never had these meds in my life) . . . I am not going to take the "shot because I think my immune system just survived (barely) the H1N1 --- the VA didn't have the vaccine anyway (I did go in), nor did they offer to test me for the virus. ~Wings

Are you sure that it was h1n1?

• HadIt.com Elder
Are you sure that it was h1n1?

No. I did go to the VAMC to see my Primary Care Provider: RN. She said I was presenting with "allergies". I told her my 14 y/o daughter had just been thru a fever of 104, and then coughing and sneezing, etc, and though I did not have as high a fever (101), I was coughing and sneezing, and thought I had pneumonia. The VA Clinic did not have an X-Ray machine, so they told me to drive to VAMC about 2 hours away --and I did not have the strength. She prescibed some meds and I went home to bed.

The VA did not test me for H1N1, nor did they have treatment for it; as of today, the H1N1 Vaccine is not available at my VAMC. ~Wings