VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Voc Rehab Vs New Gi Bill

Rate this question

kw34

Question

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

yepper dabby doo.....I worked part-time while I was in voc rehab..There's no rule specifically against it but you have to get approved by the councilor first. The degree you want to pursue needs to be something different than what your doing for work. I wanted a degree in psychology but I was working customer service at the time so I qualified. If you're already working in the field the same as your educational goals then they will deny saying there's no need to rehab you since you're already working in the field.

dh

Can you work and receive voc rehab?
Edited by darkhorse

Thanks DH,

I am trying to decide which way to go. I am thinking use voc rehab for myself for B.S. and Masters and pass my new GI bill to my boys.

Thanks DH,

I am trying to decide which way to go. I am thinking use voc rehab for myself for B.S. and Masters and pass my new GI bill to my boys.

I thought I read somewhere that one cannot use VocRehab until the GI bill is exhausted.

Anyway, one can receive VocRehab and work; I work full-time and go to school full-time.

Yes, you can work full or part-time while on Voc Rehab. You can also receive extra training or education in your current field as long as you can show it will keep you gainfully employed in the future. I'm living proof of that. I'm not 100% sure, but I thought I heard you can only use Voc Rehab or GI bill, but not both. You can't "double dip."

Sand,

That is correct you can not use both when I was going through the tutorial for the new GI bill it stated if you have a SC'ed disability consider voc rehab. I am no longer able to stand for the the long periods of time and walk to cover the floor my job requires my leg swells and it causes me to miss work because I cant get my shoe on. They are understanding right now but that could change with a new manager. I would like finish my degree and get a masters and try to lecture at the college level or be able to compete for a upper management position that is easier on the bad leg. I cant quit work cant afford that but I work swing shift so it would work great if i get approved then I could xfer my new GI Bill to the kids.

Edited by kw34