VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Agent Orange List

Rate this question

evandc

Question

• Answers 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000160.htm

A great point John-

Hopefully we can briefly discuss this tonight at SVR and I will try to mention autopsies again-

I know a Vietnam vet with DMII and heart disease but he says he has no blockages or atherosclerosis.Then again as you mentioned -in time any type of heart disease could possibly progress to atherosclerosis.

The above link seems to indicate that ischemia CAD is almost a term interchangable with CAD.One can assume many Vietnam vets with CAD as secondary to DMII already get properly compensated for it.

Then again many have the CAD without the DMII.

You are always right about the benefit of getting an autopsy.

I asked a doc recently about the difference between CAD and ischemic heart diease. They stated something like this:

* Coronary Artery Disease primarily affects the Arteries only

* Ischemic Heart disease can be anywhere in the heart.

* Ischemia is basically a term for cells that lack oxygen and eventually die which prevents the heart from working properly and can cause heart attacks.

* CAD can generally be defined as blocked and/or harndened arteries.

* How these are similar is that the Hardened arteries are generally ischemic in nature (i.e. plaque build up in arteries causes a lack of oxygen to the cells of the artery walls which then become ischemic).

So CAD is generally IHD in nature, but IHD isn't necessarily CAD becuase IHD is anywhere in the heart not just in the arteries does that make sense!