VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Transmission To Transition

Rate this topic

Transmission to Transition by Darin Farr of the UTAH VA

This is a really good video that addresses concerns of today's veterans returning from Iraq and Afghanistan where returning to civilian roadways and driving (e.g. miscommunication and misunderstanding by law enforcement when approaching and handling veterans they pull over), attending schools (e.g. discrimination and ostricizing - like the Penn State Video), and getting back into the employment sector (e.g. discrimination).

Please watch and give feedback (which can be relayed to the producer, if you wish).

Troy Spurlock

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks for the videos and the flashback @16.35 min. of the "Transmission on Transition" video, when the young vet was walking through the halls of his college. The absents of anti war protesters was notable. I flashed back to1968, when I got home and returned to school, and being treated with destain from the staff and fellow students. We were hated by many of our peers back then. Others thought that we were fools for going to Vietnam. PTSD was not recognized yet, and combat related stress disorders were considered manifestations of poor self discipline and/ or cowardice by the medical community & civilians. I'm glad that the new returning vets do not have to experience that kind of rejection. It's tough enough to readjust, now a days, without that additional insult and condemnation for military service.

• HadIt.com Elder
I was drafted in 1968 and went to College in Texas which still pretty much supported the War.

Did you go to college before or after you were drafted, Pete? As you know, the Summer of 1968 was a pivotal point of the anti war movement on campus. I was off active duty, and entered college during the Summer of 68'. When I visited the student union, I was a treated like I had the plague.

• HadIt.com Elder

I remember talking about Vietnam with some students at the student union. I got these sort of blank stares, and it was one of those learning moments when you realize you don't want to bring up this topic again. Every guy there was dodging the draft. I could not blame them for that. When I mentioned I had been in Vietnam it was like I had cut a fart in church. Nobody insulted me. They forgave me for being an idiot.

• HadIt.com Elder

I was in College when I was drafted and when I got out I went back. But Texas never got near as radical as some other places in the Country.