VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Transmission To Transition

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

I sensed some indifference toward the young returning vet in the "Transmission to Transition" video . I wouldn't want to see history repeat it's self.

Claims that Vietnam vets exaggerated the mistreatment they received when they returned to the States, was in the news recently. We discussed it on Hadit. Something about returning Vietnam vets being spit on, was just a myth...

here is a link to the Vietnam anti war movement in the U.S....

http://www.emints.org/ethemes/resources/S00001560.shtml

Again, it has been said "If we don't learn from the past then we are doomed to repeat it."

Edited by Commander Bob

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

I was in Vietnam during the Kent State shooting. It was just a line in the Stars and Stripes. We were so isolated from all that. I was not political. At that time you either went to college or you got drafted usually. Before the army I had never thought about Vietnam at all. I had never been confronted with the class system in suck stark terms as in the army. It opened my eyes.

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks for the videos and the flashback @16.35 min. of the "Transmission on Transition" video, when the young vet was walking through the halls of his college. The absents of anti war protesters was notable. I flashed back to1968, when I got home and returned to school, and being treated with destain from the staff and fellow students. We were hated by many of our peers back then. Others thought that we were fools for going to Vietnam. PTSD was not recognized yet, and combat related stress disorders were considered manifestations of poor self discipline and/ or cowardice by the medical community & civilians. I'm glad that the new returning vets do not have to experience that kind of rejection. It's tough enough to readjust, now a days, without that additional insult and condemnation for military service.

Flashbacks were not my intention, and I doubt it was the producers either.

The video was meant for information to make others aware of what today's veterans are going through.

It's too bad someone didn't care enough to do the same for the Vietnam era veterans.

T.S.

• HadIt.com Elder
Flashbacks were not my intention, and I doubt it was the producers either.

The video was meant for information to make others aware of what today's veterans are going through.

It's too bad someone didn't care enough to do the same for the Vietnam era veterans.

T.S.

I am sure that flashbacks were not your intentions, nor the producers'. I found it notable, and meant it in jest, to point out the indifference experienced by the vets of yesterday and today, when they returned to school..

Edited by Commander Bob