VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Is Aa Only For Those With A Pension

Rate this topic

If I am understanding this you are not out any actual money and the VA is picking up the cost of the nurse's and aide but you only pay to have someone clean your home for $75 per day for the one day a week she cleans. You are saying I could have my Primary Doctor make the request to have someone come out and do some of the things I pay to have done, like prepare my meds, check my sugar, give me my shots, check my blood pressure. Will they withdraw blood for purposes of when my doctor will order blood work on me. I'm sure you know how difficult it is to go to the VA Hospital. When I am finished with that I am in such pain it takes days for it to subside to a tolerable level but if I could get a nurse to come to my home and take blood that would be one visit I wouldn't have to go to. I have a really good Doctor who will help me out on anything I ask him but I just didn't know that I could get some of these services. Seems like someone would have mentioned it to me when they see the type of trouble I normally have trying to get around inside the VA. I have someone to take me but the doctor doesn't see the effort it takes for me to get in and out of the car or other movements that are very painful for me. I mean I wish I could get an electric wheelchair but I don't have medicare and I am 59 yrs old sort of young for it I guess. If you have any ideas that may help me please feel free to pass them along but I thank you for the heads up you have already given me Pete53.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

You could ask for it. I am not sure exactly how but starts with your Doc and than they talk to you.

Good Luck

• 5 weeks later...
  • HadIt.com Elder
If I am understanding this you are not out any actual money and the VA is picking up the cost of the nurse's and aide but you only pay to have someone clean your home for $75 per day for the one day a week she cleans. You are saying I could have my Primary Doctor make the request to have someone come out and do some of the things I pay to have done, like prepare my meds, check my sugar, give me my shots, check my blood pressure. Will they withdraw blood for purposes of when my doctor will order blood work on me. I'm sure you know how difficult it is to go to the VA Hospital. When I am finished with that I am in such pain it takes days for it to subside to a tolerable level but if I could get a nurse to come to my home and take blood that would be one visit I wouldn't have to go to. I have a really good Doctor who will help me out on anything I ask him but I just didn't know that I could get some of these services. Seems like someone would have mentioned it to me when they see the type of trouble I normally have trying to get around inside the VA. I have someone to take me but the doctor doesn't see the effort it takes for me to get in and out of the car or other movements that are very painful for me. I mean I wish I could get an electric wheelchair but I don't have medicare and I am 59 yrs old sort of young for it I guess. If you have any ideas that may help me please feel free to pass them along but I thank you for the heads up you have already given me Pete53.

There is NO age test for a power chair it's medical necessity is the only requirement I was 43 when the VA issued my power chair I can't walk more than 100 feet without loosing my breath I have a heart ejection fraction of 25% I don't even have the breath to turn the wheels on a regular wheel chair, again you have to ask your doctor (PCP) if he thinks it's time for you to get wheels and if he will support your request, then it goes to Rehab and they evaluate you the VAMC where I go has a 3 doctor team that has to approve all power chairs, that way they can "control costs" good luck