VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Lost Part Of My Skull

Rate this question

Rob m

Question

Back ground

I’m still on active duty, almost 19 years total and next summer I’ll be looking for a job. I want to get into the federal system (GS) system and I’m concern about how a disability rating will affect my future job prospects.

Accident

Appox 15 years ago I lost a 2”x3” piece of skull due to an accident and the doctor told me I also suffered a small amount of brain damage from an accident that occurred on base. I had 2 surgeries, the first to remove bone chips around my brain and the second, 6 months later to close in the hole, appox 2”x3”.

Claim

I feel that once I retire in appox 1 year I want to file a claim for the plate in my head and what I feel is a disfiguring scar appox 6”-7” long on my forehead and head. From doing some basic research I believe I will qualify for at least 50% (size of plate in head) and 10% (for the scar)

Concerns

I’m worried that if I receive 60% or more I may not qualify for a Federal job on base. Also I’m worried that since I’ve still been able to work and stay on active duty for 15+ years the claims officer may not give me the percentage I deserve.

I’m also worried that because I’ve lived with the problems (see below) for such a long time I will not get what I deserve.

Go going symptoms

Some difficulties in my reading and writing abilities, I have a little bit of dyslexia that I did not have before the accident and terrible hand writing as a result of the accident (thank goodness for computers)

Headaches 4-5 times per month

A little bit of dizziness at times

Decreased sensitivity in the area of the accident

Scar

Any thoughts on the subject (about how a possible high rating will affect Federal job opportunities) will be appreciated

Thanks

Rob

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Hi Rob, welcome to Hadit. Thanks for your service.

My opinion is that a rating should not effect your ability to get a Federal job. I don't think you even have to list it in most situations. But my knoweldge of Federal employment is very limited.

If you don't mind, I'm going to ask that your post be moved to Va Claims Research. More members may read it there.

I have to reccomend that you be fully evaluated and rated for your TBI when you depart for many reasons. It will be much easier to do now rather than later.

Besides the possible ratings for the plate and scar you should seek a rating for the headaches as migraines and another rating for TBI residuals(dizziness, reading and writing difficulties, ect)

As for your concerns for ratings, it's possible that you might get lowballed but be assured that it is standard for the VA whether it's a fresh injury or old. I would hope that the claims proccess goes smoothly for you, it does for some, some it does not, just be prepared to appeal. Your rating should reflect your current disability and not how long you've had it. That is one reason it's important to start now.

Edited by timetowinarace

Sorry I didn't introduce myself, just joined the forum 2 days ago. Having found this site it looks like there is allot of good info, I've got some reading to do. Anyway, like in my earier post I'm active duty USAF and have almost 19 years in. I'm currently deployed to Afghanistan and should be returning to the States in Jan 2010. Thanks for all the informative post and look forward to learning from all of you.

Rob m,

Welcome to Hadit.

Be sure that the correct measurements for skull losss is of

record in your SMR/STR's.

carlie

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-....26&idno=38

§ 4.71a Schedule of ratings—musculoskeletal system.

The Skull

Rating

5296 Skull, loss of part of, both inner and outer tables:

With brain hernia 80

Without brain hernia:

Area larger than size of a 50-cent piece or 1.140 in2(7.355 cm2) 50

Area intermediate 30

Area smaller than the size of a 25-cent piece or 0.716 in2(4.619 cm2) 10

Note: Rate separately for intracranial complications.

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't think if will a major factor in getting a federal job. Where do you plan to try and get hired? I have seen some employees of the VA with very major disabilites. They guy who interviewed me for one of the rehab programs was in a wheelchair and needed specialized devices to even use the computer. He was 200% disabled and yet he got a job. I don't think he was even a disabled vet. I was a mere 10% disabled and I could not get a job at the VA, so other factors besides disability are usually more important. I think knowing someone in the federal government is the main thing. Upper levels of the feds are ruled by good old boy network.

• HadIt.com Elder

Carlie

That is the truth. I worked for the post office and most of the people in my shop were related by either marriage or blood. You had husbands supervising their own wives, and parents surpervising their grown kids. Guess who go promoted? Oh, I forgot the girfriends of the bosses. They always got a promotion. Trouble used to break out between the wives and girlfriends of the supervisors. When your wife and girlfriend work in the same office fireworks break out.