VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Lost Part Of My Skull

Rate this question

Rob m

Question

Back ground

I’m still on active duty, almost 19 years total and next summer I’ll be looking for a job. I want to get into the federal system (GS) system and I’m concern about how a disability rating will affect my future job prospects.

Accident

Appox 15 years ago I lost a 2”x3” piece of skull due to an accident and the doctor told me I also suffered a small amount of brain damage from an accident that occurred on base. I had 2 surgeries, the first to remove bone chips around my brain and the second, 6 months later to close in the hole, appox 2”x3”.

Claim

I feel that once I retire in appox 1 year I want to file a claim for the plate in my head and what I feel is a disfiguring scar appox 6”-7” long on my forehead and head. From doing some basic research I believe I will qualify for at least 50% (size of plate in head) and 10% (for the scar)

Concerns

I’m worried that if I receive 60% or more I may not qualify for a Federal job on base. Also I’m worried that since I’ve still been able to work and stay on active duty for 15+ years the claims officer may not give me the percentage I deserve.

I’m also worried that because I’ve lived with the problems (see below) for such a long time I will not get what I deserve.

Go going symptoms

Some difficulties in my reading and writing abilities, I have a little bit of dyslexia that I did not have before the accident and terrible hand writing as a result of the accident (thank goodness for computers)

Headaches 4-5 times per month

A little bit of dizziness at times

Decreased sensitivity in the area of the accident

Scar

Any thoughts on the subject (about how a possible high rating will affect Federal job opportunities) will be appreciated

Thanks

Rob

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Rob,

Welcome to the Hadit family, great people here. I work for the government and basically got hired due to the fact that the Texas Rehab Comm. considered me 100 percent disabled. So, the Feds also hired me under the handicap program. However, I still had to meet certain qualifications like a degree and experience.

Your handicap will not make a difference. What is your educational level? Where are you living? What do you want to do in the GS field? It does not hurt to know someone to get a job with the feds, so now you know someone.

Papa

I currently work in the Fire Dept (USAF) and over the years I have maxed out my certifications. Right now I have 5 classes left for my bachelors’ defree in the same field (Fire Science managment). I'm hoping to get a fire inspector's job, either with the Air Force or the Army. I'm thinking with 20 years experience, certifications and a degree I will be able to get hired somewhere. I just don't want a VA rating to keep me from getting a job.

Also I'm thinking if I can land a job first and then apply for VA benefits that may be a better option, don't know for sure.