VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Disability Pay Question

Rate this question

creatureman

Question

I have a question, I am retiring and the main things I am claiming are hearing loss/tinnitus, lumbago(lower back pain), and pertygium with vision loss. If I were to say get rated at 20% would i get the money or do they subtract it from my retirement pay and make it not taxable? Like say I get $200 for 20%. It would be better to get cash in my opinion. I know 50% they get a payment but what about 20%. I don't think i will get close to 50%. My fault for staying in shape..haha. But seriously, I am confused about this. I though they changed the law(concurrent reciept). Thanks

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

http://www.military.com/benefits/military-...aring-crsc-crdp

Hopefully they will explain these programs at the transition briefings when you muster out - then again maybe they wont- Military.com has a good explanation at the link and a forum on these programs.

Welcome here and thanks for that long service for the US of A!

PS-make sure you have copy of your SMrs and that the conditions you mentioned here are noted on your discharge physical.

Pterygium is not always found at a compensable level but with vision loss I sure think it would be rated properly-

I have a question, I am retiring and the main things I am claiming are hearing loss/tinnitus, lumbago(lower back pain), and pertygium with vision loss. If I were to say get rated at 20% would i get the money or do they subtract it from my retirement pay and make it not taxable? Like say I get $200 for 20%. It would be better to get cash in my opinion. I know 50% they get a payment but what about 20%. I don't think i will get close to 50%. My fault for staying in shape..haha. But seriously, I am confused about this. I though they changed the law(concurrent reciept). Thanks

What's up creatureman. Yes, you are going to forfeit the % of you rating from your retirement and receive that amount back from the VA which is going to non-taxable. It will show up on your RAS (much like the les) as VA waiver and the amount. You have up to a year to file additional claims and you will be surprised the things you find out about yourself physically wrong with you after you retire. Currently at 30% and looking at moving up to atleat around 80%. Remember the magic number is 50% to get the concurrent retired pay and compensation. Good luck.

USMC ret. 21yrs.