VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Just Starting To Get Ready To File A Claim

Rate this question

papabama

Question

Back in 1970 when I was in boot camp mcrd S.D. #1152 (expermental Platoon) we had to wear dress shoes instead of boots for 10 weeks. Killed my feet. I was discharged with Pes Cavus ( high Arches) . Did not know I could file for benifits till now 40 rears later. On my 22-214 it states Physcial Disabilites w/0 servance pay. I went on 100% disabilty from S.S. and am on long term from my job for my feet - pescavus with degenerative arthrithis, purs,,Also my ortho for the rest of my joints such as back, knees, neck, hands and shoulders, neurophty, Kidneys, on and on diabetic sleep animia. In your opinion how does shound. Waiting on all my dr. letters to take to va.

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

What kind of discharge did you get? Did you entrance physical mention foot problems? Were you treated for foot problems in service?

What kind of discharge did you get? Did you entrance physical mention foot problems? Were you treated for foot problems in service?

honorable/ medical discharge, waiting on my records but I dont think my feet ere mintioned.. Idid not have feet problems before the service. iwas treated for my feet.

• HadIt.com Elder

Have you sent off Form SF180 to the National Archives Center, Military Records, St. Louis, for your complete service records, and to the VA Records Center, St. Louis, for your Service Medical Records? You're gonna have to do that, the sooner the better.

Have you been treated at a VA Medical Center, for any reason?

You are receiving Social Security Disability........is that for the same reason that you were discharged from the Corps.

You will want to see what your Service Medical Records have to say about your various disabilities, what is listed, what is not listed.....then you will have to come up with matching problems at this time, with some sort of ongoing treatment or supportive reasoning connecting the existing problems with the documented problems in service (that is what is called a "nexus"). When you get your statements from your docs, you'll have a good idea where you stand. If possible, you need to get your docs to state "it is at least as likely as not" that pappabama's current __________, is at least as likely as not caused by his service (or aggravated by his service)(or is related to his _______, which is caused by his service (or aggravated by his service. The terminology "is at least as likely as not" is really, seriously, an important statement in your doctor's report. Of course, it's even better when they say "is caused" or "definitely caused by", etc., then they should give the reasons connecting the two (the service and the current) instances of injury, aggravation, illness, etc.

• HadIt.com Elder

If you have no mention of foot problems in your SMR's filing a claim 40 years later for your feet, and all these secondary conditions may be hard to do. If you had filed a claim within the first year of discharge it probably would have been a slam/dunk. You will need really high class medical opinion to get the present foot problems and all the secondary conditions service connected. If you could show treatment for foot related problems by private doctors in the years since discharge it would help since you got a medical discharge for your feet. If you got a medical discharge for your feet there must be some records of foot problems in the service. I have pes cavus as well. It means to me chronic foot pain for the last 25 years. However, I never was treated for foot problems in service. I just thought everyone's feet hurt.

If you have no mention of foot problems in your SMR's filing a claim 40 years later for your feet, and all these secondary conditions may be hard to do. If you had filed a claim within the first year of discharge it probably would have been a slam/dunk. You will need really high class medical opinion to get the present foot problems and all the secondary conditions service connected. If you could show treatment for foot related problems by private doctors in the years since discharge it would help since you got a medical discharge for your feet. If you got a medical discharge for your feet there must be some records of foot problems in the service. I have pes cavus as well. It means to me chronic foot pain for the last 25 years. However, I never was treated for foot problems in service. I just thought everyone's feet hurt.

thanks John and everyone for your info, My foot Dr. is writing letter now saying in her opion it servie connected. This is main reson for my SS. Also 40 years documentation for all my joints for degenerative arthrities. Got addicated to my pain meds (39 years)and this year went to treatment and at treatment the phyic dr (is the main Va phyic dr) said he will set me up for depression stress stc and see the right va drs.

honorable/ medical discharge, waiting on my records but I dont think my feet ere mintioned.. Idid not have feet problems before the service. iwas treated for my feet.

papa,

You say a medical discharge, but your profile doesn't show any SC'd disability.

What condition was your "medical discharge" for ?

carlie