VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd

Rate this question

maset22

Question

I served in Gulf War one. Din't think much about it. The other day I decided to put in a claim. After many years of taking care of Family going for the mithy dollars. Never thought I had PTSD. Crying in situations my sevicemen and women will get in mainly death and wounded, crying in movies like Hamburger Hill or platoon. My first experience was in I think Desert Shield. A bunker made for seven soldiers, turn out to be use by about thirty soldiers. At first I ran somewhere, all training was out the window. I made maybe two to three steps I regained my posture and I was about the second person in the bunker. In a moments notice I found my back againts the top of the bunker, soldiers under me, everywhere. I was scared, could not bread anxiety big time. I thought about my boys not seen them again. Funny; Not my wife who I love so much and still together today. My arrogance got me to just the begining of outside of the bunker looking out. waiting for the all crear. and when it was giving it took a while for us to deploy.From that moment I played the John wayne. every one get in, moved, moved. I was directing soldiers in. But; Not me. many years later. I stii cant go in tight places, drive in rush hour. (Wife drive I close my eyes). much crying, even watching movies that someone get put in the trunk of a car, I shiver. My psychiatrist diagnose me with adjustment disorder with depressed mood. Pain disorder associated with physical and psychological factor. Chronic. Hope is not too late. The story of my life, a day late and a dollar short. I told The spychiatrist and He wrote it down, trigger and all. Any advice. Please Help me How can I get the doctor to adjust to PTSD. Since the other diagnostics will give me zlich. I have couple more incident that affect my daily life. will post them another day sorry for been long winded Love you all. One love Brother, Sister. In ARM. What a horendoze thing happened in FT Hood. Prayers for our Fallen Conrads. Amen

• Answers 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Pigdriver

You know one of the main symptoms of PTSD is denial, so don't feel too bad because you did not get treatment for years. It is hard for a guy who has survived the horror of war to admit he is not OK. This is why a lot of older guys with PTSD finally arrive at rock bottom and start to cry out for help. You have to be a strong individual to survive combat. In our day signs of emotional distress were looked on as weakness by the army, or even a conduct problem. Unless you were stark, raving mad any drinking or drug problems or other signs of PTSD would get you in trouble. The military psychiatrists were not sympathetic. They worked for Uncle Sam, and were eager for you to accept some kind of less than honorable discharge to get you out of their hair at behest of the command.

First of all, I want to apologize for the two blank pages it have seen to got lost. one momemnt I was posting the next, I could not find it.(?).Now I want to thank you all that took the time to encorage me with thoughts and links to sites plus just knowledge. The diagnostic of adjustment disorder with depressed mood, chronic. also with pain disorder associated with physysical and psycologycal factor. A single word that VA has used to dissalowed much of my claims is CONGENITAL. Wich is due to anomalies of my spine with a double scoliosis. Example my lungs diagnose with ubstrutive lung disease. dissalowed because of my congenital back. wich means, I was borne with a bad spine. Pigdriver, Berta, And John 999 Thank you so much. I am so concerne with the PTSD diagnogsis because, I'm imagining they (VA) will use my back pain to conclude adjustment disorder is from my physical pain wich is couse by congenital spine. I have three claims I summited, got the response the recieved it. One is Gulf War Syndrome, I thought I was too late. another is rashes from below shoulder back and front. the other is memory lost. scary. sometimes cant remember to go from point A to point B, close family name is a strugle to remember thire spouses name before she or he answer. read book pasages over ana over again. movies my wife says we had seen, no clue with me. counting money several time, like i dint past the fifth grade. I was their to give my ALL. Now a different system (VA) deciding my lot in life. since I cant do for self too well. No more before I start boo huing. Love you all. They could not have done it with out US. .Go third herd 3rd AD C co 122 MSB.

The VA can determine if a congenital condition has been aggravated by service.Then they have to SC and rate the aggravated part of the disability.Then they would have to determine if any psychological disability is due to the aggravation.

Was this listed in any way at all on your entrance physical as fact you had this congenital condition?

Or did the VA come up with that idea themselves with no medical rationale?

Are you able to cover personal info and scan the exact denial as to how they denied?

Do you have a vet rep who can help you with this claim? There are cases at the BVA on aggravation of congenital disabilities due to service.Maybe all of your conditions can be service connected that way.

It would be great if we knew what they actually said as to the congenital part.

PS here is a claim where the veteran did have congenital disability -and service connection for aggravation of that disability due to military service was granted:

http://www4.va.gov/vetapp09/files1/0901042.txt

There are over 700 cases at BVA regarding congenital disabilities so whether VA is right on that or not -you do have chance for service connection unless they are compltely wrong but you can find a link directly to your service for your scoliosis.

If you go to the BVA web site, put Scoliosis in search doo dad or search for congenital-you will find mpore claims similiar to yours and how they were awarded or why they were denied.

You could even have depression as secondary to this condition-and VA has recognized the pain disorder you have as well.

I would think however you should definitely claim these disabilities and state that the adjustment disorder is also directkly due to your service or secondary to aggravation of pre existing congenital condition.

That would not be a PTSD claim but whatever they would call it -would be valid reason to ask for compensation for both mental and physical disabilities.

Comp is same amount too for any SC mental disability-but they only rate and pay for one type of mental disability.

• HadIt.com Elder

According to the VA's logic anyone who developes any emotional disorder probably has a congenital factor that is triggered by the stress of military service. By this standard no one with flat feet would ever get compensation. They took you into the service as being medically fit. The VA does use the congenital excuse every time they misdiagnose a person with PTSD, depression or anxiety disorder as a personality disorder. The personality disorder is congentital disorder they say. Before the hubbub about PTSD the Army was kicking out 100's of soldiers suffering from PTSD as personality disorders so they would not have to pay. If you are marching and humping for hours and days that would aggravate a back problem that otherwise may never have hurt you.