VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ptsd Question

Rate this question

aloneintx

Question

Please forgive me if this is something that is common knowledge or just plain stupid.

I have been home for a little over three years and when i first got home I went to the local VA for help with some issues I was having, such as sleep, nightmares, hearing things etc.

I was unable to see a Dr but went through the initial screening and was put on anti-psychotics. I was very unhappy with this as 1. I dont think i am psychotic & 2. they made me very sleepy and out of it.

After being away from home for so long the last thing I wanted to do was sit on a couch at home and veg out.

I called back and tried to speak with the Dr or assistant but only was able to leave a message.

Long story short the appointment was three months out and I did not want to take those meds while waiting. After that experience I chose not to go back and tried to deal with it on my own.

3 years later I still have not recovered and after a wake up call I decided it was time to get help from a professional.

I do not want to go to back to the VA and have them try to drug me up again and don't really know where to go. I have been having issues with my job with missing work and need to get some help.

Also do i have any protection at my job?

Any input you would share will help.

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Alone,

I am finishing up a Psychology course and have been reviewing clinical studies. Certain problems tend to be resolved better with long term care. Taking medication and attending counseling for a long time might be what's best. Be careful about coming off of the medication. The cold turkey approach may not be safe and can actually aggravate your situation. Some require you to be weaned off gradually over time in order for you to get the maximum benefit. I'm no expert, but this is what I know. Definitely seek help. If you do not like your counselor, ask for another.

I hope you get to feeling better soon. You're fighting the good fight - don't give up.

Alone

My first opinion was that they just wanted to drug me, that was all that was important. I fought it, I doubted what they were doing. Through support of Hadit and others, I continued. I wanted to run, hide and not deal with the claim or care. I hung in there, I am better, rated, and have a new direction. Go, get help, try the different drugs until they get a match. This might be the steepes Hill you ever climb, but whats on the other side is worth it

Alone

My first opinion was that they just wanted to drug me, that was all that was important. I fought it, I doubted what they were doing. Through support of Hadit and others, I continued. I wanted to run, hide and not deal with the claim or care. I hung in there, I am better, rated, and have a new direction. Go, get help, try the different drugs until they get a match. This might be the steepes Hill you ever climb, but whats on the other side is worth it

Good to see you out here again, SGM...and it appears from your comment on being rated that congratulations on your successful claim are in order. Way to go!

JustPls

Thank you for your comment, I will do my best to answer and help each Vet

I had plenty of professional helpful comments.

I want to help anyone that might need a positive stroke to get help and assistant

Alonetx, is me in July, when I was struggling to figure out the VA, Hadit, Mental Health, C&P, it was alot to consume

Thank you all for your comments. I am trying to build up the nerve to go back in. My fear comes from a couple of different things. One being I do not want to be medicated like I was. Second, what if they feel my issues are not valid enough for PTSD? Am i just being a wimp? Yes I was involved in a few different fights, did get my CAB but the hardest part for me was not when i was injured but when a Marine was injured and I had to get him out of the vehicle, he was severely burned and skin sluffed off while trying to move him. This was not even the worst combat I saw or was a part of but for some reason this is what haunts my dreams and waking days. What if i go in to the VA and they think im a shitbag trying to get free crap or something. I know this sounds stupid but I prided myself for being a hard worker when I was in and never wanted to be seen as a slacker or someone who cant hack it.

Anyway Thanks again for all the help.