VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Got Copy Of C&p Exam.

Rate this question

blackbird

Question

Hello Veterans,

I finally got a copy of my exam done in September of this year. If you read my earlier post after the exam, I wasn't sure the examiner took enough time ( only about 10-15 min) for the exam. Below is some of the facts he stated;

Referenced 1996 L4-L5 disc surgery,

1998 L4-L5 fusion,

2007 L2-L3 disc surgery,

2009 L2-L3 disc surgery again.

Flexion is 0-50

Extension 0-10

Side to side bending 0-20

Rotation 0-25

No change on repetition, and pain at end of all ranges tested.

Sensation deminished but present to light touch under two toes,

Deep tendon reflexes are grade 1+ at knees and ankles.

Toes are downgoing ???

IMPRESSION:

Lumbar Degenerative Disc Disease. I have been asked for an opinion if the patient's disc disease is at least as likely as not etiologically related to his time in the military. We have clear notes from the military indicating that he developed back pain radiating to his left leg. He under went L4-L5 laminectomy and discectomy at this time. Postoperatively, he continued to have some back pain with radicular features. It is noted that the patient had a positive straight leg raise on the left and was mildly weak in the left leg. Given this, I would state that regarding his back pain, his current back pain is most likely caused by or a result of his time spent in the military.

Any opinions on this and possible total rating guess would be appreciated. (I know it would be an educated guess). Claim dates back to May of 2004.

Thanks for your time,

Blackbird

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Do you have the IU forms filled out? If not, download them and get them ready. The va will not award IU without the forms.

I will go back and read your posts.

J

jbasser,

Can you give me the link to download these forms? I'm not sure which I need.

Thanks,

Blackbird

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Veteran’s Application for Increased Compensation Based on Unemployability

http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-21-8940-ARE.pdf

Be sure to submit any medical and employment evidence

Good luck!

AFO= ankle foot orthotic like a splint..Usually are white plastic that is heated, measured to you foot/ankle/leg to assure a proper fit. Looks like a "L" shape. Also has straps ie velcro to wrap around you calf and it sits in your shoe. You see stroke patients wearing these. Loss of muscle/tone/nerve sensations/circulation occur with nerve damage ie strokes, paraplegia, etc.

The foot has the tendency to do toe downs, like a ballerina dancing on her toes. This "footdrop" may result in a lot of falls as basically your foot (toes) drags, and this adaptive device holds the foot at a right angle, and when one picks up their leg to walk the afo prevents the toes from dropping, and also may make one more cognitively aware too by wearing it and they may attempt to lift the foot hight too.

Now when you were awarded SSD in 2002, you wrote that the disabling conditions were related to you back + other conditions...the original back injury was in-service and further damage occurred which also resulted in more surgeries...so SSD awarded you 100% Total Disability for documented an in-service injury too as part of their awardance...Doesn't the VA have the SSA records?

Do you have an Active DVA like returns emails, calls? Or paper pusher?

AFO= ankle foot orthotic like a splint..Usually are white plastic that is heated, measured to you foot/ankle/leg to assure a proper fit. Looks like a "L" shape. Also has straps ie velcro to wrap around you calf and it sits in your shoe. You see stroke patients wearing these. Loss of muscle/tone/nerve sensations/circulation occur with nerve damage ie strokes, paraplegia, etc.

The foot has the tendency to do toe downs, like a ballerina dancing on her toes. This "footdrop" may result in a lot of falls as basically your foot (toes) drags, and this adaptive device holds the foot at a right angle, and when one picks up their leg to walk the afo prevents the toes from dropping, and also may make one more cognitively aware too by wearing it and they may attempt to lift the foot hight too.

Now when you were awarded SSD in 2002, you wrote that the disabling conditions were related to you back + other conditions...the original back injury was in-service and further damage occurred which also resulted in more surgeries...so SSD awarded you 100% Total Disability for documented an in-service injury too as part of their awardance...Doesn't the VA have the SSA records?

Do you have an Active DVA like returns emails, calls? Or paper pusher?

Hey Halos2,

Yes, the VA has had a copy of the SSI award since original claim was filed. Also the DAV rep I have now is good. He is the assistant manager at the RO near me. He is good about calling me back and explaining things.

Thanks for your input,

Blackbird