VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Filing For Tbi, Ptsd, And Tinnitus

Rate this question

ATVer

Question

Not sure if this is the right place for this. I'm getting ready to file my claims. Do i simply just walk in and talk to a VSO? Not a clue on how this works. TIA

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

The formal application 21-526 is there at the VA web site- you can print it off or use VONAPP to file it.

I feel printing it off is best idea to give you time to really think about the questions and not leave anything out.

Then you could take it to a Vet rep to help with.

For the PTSD you need proof of inservice stressor so be detailed when asked about that-

You also need PTSD diagnosis but if the rep will not help you if you dont have the diagnosis yet- can that rep and get another one

For the TBI claim you will also need proof of IED involvement or inservice accident.

If you have the CAR, CIB or PH on your DD 214 these claims should go smoothly-

If not after you file the claim the VA will send you a VCAA letter telling you exactly what evidence they need,

Now is the time to think about that evidence.

I am assuming you are OEF OIF incountry veteran?

Sorry guys- we seem to be missing stuff in the sub forums- you can always post up in CLaims Research if we dont see the posts here.

Also make sure the rep understands TBI and PTSD are rated separately-

The VA cant lump these together.

Make sure you have copy of this 526 form and the VCAA letter should come in 2-3 months hopefully.If you have one or more of those combat awards I mentioned they might not even need top send the VCAA letter- with a diagnosis of PTSD and TBI and C & P exams and the awards they could rate the claim fast-but no one knows how long anything could take with the VA.

If you are OIF OEF and findyou are having significant problems with the claim- contact NVLSP Lawyers for Warriors program at their web site.