VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New Ptsd Claim

Rate this question

ATVer

Question

I posted this in another forum, no response, so I figured i'd post here too. I'm going this week to file a PTSD claim. I was never treated for anything while on active duty. What all do i need to get the ball rolling, DD-214 and what else? I also want to file for TBI and tinnitus, but PTSD is my main concern. Do i file them all at the same time i'm guessing?

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

You don't even need the DD 214 but their is an application you can fill out or you can ask. Since you were not treated for it in service you will need proof and a current diagnosis that is linked to your service.

Good Luck

I posted this in another forum, no response, so I figured i'd post here too. I'm going this week to file a PTSD claim. I was never treated for anything while on active duty. What all do i need to get the ball rolling, DD-214 and what else? I also want to file for TBI and tinnitus, but PTSD is my main concern. Do i file them all at the same time i'm guessing?

ATVer,

Welcome to Hadit.

When were you discharged ?

Do you have a copy of your service medical records (SMR's) ?

Do you have a written diagnosis from any Medical Professionals

showing PTSD, TBI and Tinnitus ?

If yes, what did the doctors relate the condition to

and had they reviewed any of your SMR's ?

If you have never filed a claim for VA Compensation and/or Pension,

you would file it in a form 21-526.

I would really, really take my time filling out this form.

You get one shot at your Original Claim.

I am in no way suggesting a shotgun approach but I sure would

want my original claim to be complete and very thorough.

I feel this is of utmost importance in the claims process

to help cover everything and help keep you out of the appeals process.

When you sign on with a POA (VSO, NSO) you totally sign your rights

of your claim to them.

They have the option to submit and/or

not submit what-ever they choose.

jmho,

carlie

Actually, I think you do need your DD214, the copy with all the signatures and that says the nature of your discharge.

The first time I went to any VA I walked into the emergency room in 2008 to get help because I was wigging out and going nuts. They would hardly talk to me until I got my DD214. Then, once they had it in their system, it was as easy as could be.

But that was just my experience. I might be wrong.

My local VA offers a pretty extensive OIF/OEF veteran program complete with case workers and everything. The guys I've been working with at my VA are great and have helped me out a lot with a lot more than just the VA system.

If you don't have any combat awards listed on your DD214 they'll probably ask for additional documentation from you showing that you were in combat so that they can show your PTSD was service connected. You don't need to bring them with you, but start digging out any evaluation reports or award citations or anything of that nature for the time period you were in combat.

I believe that if you file for claims within the first year or two (I'm not sure about the two years) from the time you get out of the military and they award you a service connected disability you'll get back pay starting on the day you were discharged.

Anyways, good luck to you and your struggle. You're doing the right thing by going to the VA and getting help (not to mention it helps when you get some extra money in your pockets)

http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-...173&idno=38

(2) Disability compensation —(i) Direct service connection (§ 3.4 ( b )). Day following separation from active service or date entitlement arose if claim is received within 1 year after separation from service; otherwise, date of receipt of claim, or date entitlement arose, whichever is later. Separation from service means separation under conditions other than dishonorable from continuous active service which extended from the date the disability was incurred or aggravated.

So you're good for back pay if you submit your claim before the 1 year mark after you get out of service. Not two as I speculated in my post below.

....and whatever you do, when they ask you how you are, DO NOT SAY FINE! You have to tell the truth - there is something wrong or you would not be filing the claim, right?

Don't take any pain meds of any kind before your exam as you want a true reprentation of your malady to present.

Good luck; I am sure the others will chime in. Don't be like my late husband who denied all problems until they killed him.

AkWidow

It's been almost 4 years since i've been discharged, so no 1 year window. I have paperwork of the dates and places in country. Should have a CAR but that was offered after my DD-214 was given, so it will not show on there. I've waited way to long to do this i know! I'm just done trying to deal with it on my own. I've always tryed to "just deal with it". That doesn't work anymore.