VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I Read And Read Am A Bit Confused

Rate this question

Spent warrior

Question

I'm one messed dude these days. Over the last few years I've really gone down hill mentally. Near suicide had me calling the VA for the first time in 40 years. The VA has been good to me.... in fact super to me. I got a lot of help and got it right away. I am in group too with my brothers (and sisters) and I find that good. Still a messed up guy, I ended up locked in the MH ward the Saturday night after Fort Hood... that so messed my head up.

I just got my rating and I have to be thankful again. I had 10% for my wound from years ago, and now they gave me 70% PTSD and 20% for Diabetes II. My total score is now 80%.

I'm older, but still have two teenagers at home, and my wife is a mess. I qualify for retirement, but I can't afford to. I need it all, including the VA disability pay to just make it (I can get rid of some of the 30% interest cc debt I have now).

I am having big problems at work and it seems I may be able to make the next step to IU if need be. Well it did and kind of like the "perfect storm" has come at work happened as the same time as my PTSD worsened.

WHERE I NEED YOUR HELP PLEASE (but comment on any of this):

I qualify for a pension, but I can't afford to quit, and then wait for IU if it takes a long time. I have sick leave saved up (months). Can I go out on sick leave (stress and mental breakdown of course) and apply for IU while on sick leave, but not working? I could retire when I got my IU, or if I run out of sick leave before that. I heard you can't ask for IU while working no matter how bad, would being out on sick leave because of my mental deterioration be allowed?

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

With a year of leave I think you can get to IU. You have to understand their is no sure thing as far as time limits. You are going to be waiting at the mail box for months probably.