VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can I File For Depression Because Of The Liminited Activities

Rate this topic

I was wondering and My wife wanted me to ask. i have been really depressed because it seems my life has been turned upside down and I have been depressed because my lifestyle has changed so much in the last couple of years because of the pain from back and legs. I haven't seen a Mental health person yet, but plan to ask to see one when I'm at the VA next week for my C/P exam on other issues. I just seem to sit around and feel like now I getting close to total retirment and I can't do most of the things I used to enjoy. I'm only 55 and now I gaining weight because I can't exercise and I'm not worth a crap at dieting. I can bend over and pick up anything because of the back. I know that getting old means a change in life, but you'd think I at least be able to do things with my kids and grand kids! Just wondering , Thanks to all of you sometimes I see people in worse shap than I and my problems seem trival compared to alot of you. Thank you for your service. I served 27 year, but never went through what some of you have. Mac

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes most people who have any sort of chronic illness or pain suffer from depression. The VA is well aware of that but you still have to ask the VA to rate it.

• HadIt.com Elder
I was wondering and My wife wanted me to ask. i have been really depressed because it seems my life has been turned upside down and I have been depressed because my lifestyle has changed so much in the last couple of years because of the pain from back and legs. I haven't seen a Mental health person yet, but plan to ask to see one when I'm at the VA next week for my C/P exam on other issues. I just seem to sit around and feel like now I getting close to total retirment and I can't do most of the things I used to enjoy. I'm only 55 and now I gaining weight because I can't exercise and I'm not worth a crap at dieting. I can bend over and pick up anything because of the back. I know that getting old means a change in life, but you'd think I at least be able to do things with my kids and grand kids! Just wondering , Thanks to all of you sometimes I see people in worse shap than I and my problems seem trival compared to alot of you. Thank you for your service. I served 27 year, but never went through what some of you have. Mac

Do you have a VA Primary Care Physician?

This is the person that you will need to go to to get a "referral" to see the psych team.

If you do not have a PCP, then you NEED to get "set up", in the "system", so that you can be seen, on a regular basis.

It is simple. Fill out a 10-10EZ form (download from the VA website). Send or take it to the VA Medical Center or Community-based Outpatient Clinic nearest you. All the addresses are available from the VA.gov website.

And, yes, chronic pain will limit your life, and that, alone, is enough to cause depression, along with the depression that the pain causes, directly.

Take control.