VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tdiu Due To Medications

Rate this question

*Bergie*

Question

Hi all,

I really need advice and help. I have not worked since 3/2/09 due to workers comp for shoulder injury, just had surgery will be out until June 10. In april 09, I was placed on Morphine for neck pain, and have been on since. In early Nov. my dose was increased to 45mg three times daily. Now, my question I work as a registered nurse and to do so under the influence of a narcotic violates state regulated guidelines for RN's. I am not a good candidate for surgery and cannot function without the pain meds. Is this something that qualifies for a TDIU claim.

Thank you,

Bergie

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hi all,

I really need advice and help. I have not worked since 3/2/09 due to workers comp for shoulder injury, just had surgery will be out until June 10. In april 09, I was placed on Morphine for neck pain, and have been on since. In early Nov. my dose was increased to 45mg three times daily. Now, my question I work as a registered nurse and to do so under the influence of a narcotic violates state regulated guidelines for RN's. I am not a good candidate for surgery and cannot function without the pain meds. Is this something that qualifies for a TDIU claim.

Thank you,

Bergie

I think that if your meds make you unemployable, that adds to your case for IU.

I take insulin and Metformin for my DMII....the metformin makes me sick as a dog and gives me the runs real badly which i sometimes can't control. I was thinking the same thing. If I take the metformin as told, I am no good at any job, this medication gives me stomach cramps from hell and makes me feel like throwing up, which feels like a constant sensation. And the wrong sensation can have me crapping myself if I am not careful. I can't even think about getting any work done when feeling like this, and believe me it is a very, very bad feeling. But if I don't take I am fine but my blood sugar sky rockets.

• HadIt.com Elder

You need to be able to prove that meds are causing your inability to work and it is due to meds you take for a Service Connected Disability. However, you have the right to ask and anything is possible.

Hi all,

Thank you,

Bergie

Bergie,I am a Nurse as well, and you know that you have to let the board of nursing know, and your employer know you are on that much morphine, you might cosider getting help to get off the morphine. I did !! and yes you can qualify for your claim just file it with a clear mind okay ? Bill

• HadIt.com Elder

Bergie

What are your service connected injuries and are they the ones that have forced you onto morphine 3 times a day? I have taken the VA morphine and it made me sick every time I took it. Not just the "throw up" sickness from narcotics but a belly ache. I was worthless for the whole day after taking it. I no longer take it, but if you have very serious pain what are the alternatives except methadone which was easier on my system.

Bergie

What are your service connected injuries and are they the ones that have forced you onto morphine 3 times a day? I have taken the VA morphine and it made me sick every time I took it. Not just the "throw up" sickness from narcotics but a belly ache. I was worthless for the whole day after taking it. I no longer take it, but if you have very serious pain what are the alternatives except methadone which was easier on my system.

John999,

The morphine is for SC cervicalgia, the VA seems to refuse to change my diagnosis to DDD. I recently had a (DRO) hearing early last week for my neck and was asked if I was filing for TDIU to which I said "no not at this time". I just want feedback from others who received TDIU, I don't want to waste my time or effort applying for something like this just to be denied. I have completed the IU form listing my neck and PTSD, and i've spoke to my director of nursing, she said she will write a letter of support outlining my many disciplinary problems stemming from my extreme confrontational tendencies. I've had numerous counselings, verbal as well as written and been charged with workforce violence. I have had 3 jobs since getting out of the military, i've been terminated from 2, my current being civil service which is why I haven't been fired yet, but might be if things continue like they have been. Anyway, as I said I am not a candidate for surgery and will not consider stopping the morphine as it is the only thing that has given some relief from the constant pain. I have no ill side-effect and infact the constipation is a relief from the chronic diarrhia i've had since 2003 after Iraq.

Thank you all,

Bergie