VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Tdiu Due To Medications

Rate this question

*Bergie*

Question

Hi all,

I really need advice and help. I have not worked since 3/2/09 due to workers comp for shoulder injury, just had surgery will be out until June 10. In april 09, I was placed on Morphine for neck pain, and have been on since. In early Nov. my dose was increased to 45mg three times daily. Now, my question I work as a registered nurse and to do so under the influence of a narcotic violates state regulated guidelines for RN's. I am not a good candidate for surgery and cannot function without the pain meds. Is this something that qualifies for a TDIU claim.

Thank you,

Bergie

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

If you think the stress of work is making your condition worse then I would apply for IU. All they can do is say "no". The thing is that if you are applying for IU you should also put in for disability retirement from your job. You can't be holding down a full time job and get IU. At least I don't think you can.

Are you service connected for the neck and PTSD?

John

If you think the stress of work is making your condition worse then I would apply for IU. All they can do is say "no". The thing is that if you are applying for IU you should also put in for disability retirement from your job. You can't be holding down a full time job and get IU. At least I don't think you can.

Are you service connected for the neck and PTSD?

John

John,

I am SC for both, PTSD 50% neck 10% currently with pending increase following DRO hearing last month. Does it look like I have a lagitimate chance of getting TDIU for these issues?

Bergie

John,

I am SC for both, PTSD 50% neck 10% currently with pending increase following DRO hearing last month. Does it look like I have a lagitimate chance of getting TDIU for these issues?

Bergie

John, yes you do but not under the influence of that much morphine, please consider it, do not mention it and go through the exam okay Bill

Bergie, I too am an RN but haven't worked since 02. I think taking the morphine could create probs with the State Board of Nursing...suspension/loss/revocation/termination...I realize this is the only med that may touch your pain, but it does impair your judgement.

The risk for the safety of patients you provide care for is exceedingly a major problem.

Have you tried fentanyl and vicodin? I take those and it barely keeps me sane with the severe pain. Does the VA prescribe your morphine?

I feel you are walking on a tightrope...need to work for the $, but legal problems could arise.

Put in for TDIU. Be careful, ever so careful working, driving, etc. You have enough problems without legal, ethical ones too.

Do you use a VSO?

I feel the VA may assume you are working and therefore may not approve the TDIU claim, as you know how they work.

SSDI won't look at a claim without you not working either.

The VA likes to low ball, so they may not grant what you want this time as you are working, and they see this as you are quite productive. Never give up hope...just keep filing at the next level if you don't receive what you wanted.

I'm stilling fighting with clear direct service connected injuries. SS told me to file with VA but I waited...kept thinking I would get better, NOT! Waiting for BVA, waiting, waiting...

Good luck with you processes and your quest. :huh:

• HadIt.com Elder

You would not want to be nursing and on morphine at the same time. You could make a fatal mistake. I think you should go for TDIU. You need a doctor to say you can't work due to your SC conditions. I think the medications to add into the IU claim. Chronic pain disorder is also a factor. I would file out the IU paperwork as soon as I could do it and send it in with a statement from the doctor that you can't work.

Bergie, I too am an RN but haven't worked since 02. I think taking the morphine could create probs with the State Board of Nursing...suspension/loss/revocation/termination...I realize this is the only med that may touch your pain, but it does impair your judgement.

The risk for the safety of patients you provide care for is exceedingly a major problem.

Have you tried fentanyl and vicodin? I take those and it barely keeps me sane with the severe pain. Does the VA prescribe your morphine?

I feel you are walking on a tightrope...need to work for the $, but legal problems could arise.

Put in for TDIU. Be careful, ever so careful working, driving, etc. You have enough problems without legal, ethical ones too.

Do you use a VSO?

I feel the VA may assume you are working and therefore may not approve the TDIU claim, as you know how they work.

SSDI won't look at a claim without you not working either.

The VA likes to low ball, so they may not grant what you want this time as you are working, and they see this as you are quite productive. Never give up hope...just keep filing at the next level if you don't receive what you wanted.

I'm stilling fighting with clear direct service connected injuries. SS told me to file with VA but I waited...kept thinking I would get better, NOT! Waiting for BVA, waiting, waiting...

Good luck with you processes and your quest. :huh:

Halos,

I think you misunderstand. I currently DO NOT work, I have been on workers comp since March 2, 2009, I just had reconstructive surgery for my shoulder and will be out of work for at least 6 months more. I started the morphine in April, 2009, that is my situation and the reason I posted the question of TDIU. I am concerned that I cannot work due to the severe neck pain and use of morphine. I have a current DRO case pending on my neck and open claims for kidney stones, and GWS (chronic diarrhia, joint pain, migraine ha's). I'm looking for input or advice from others who have experience with TDIU.

bergie