VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Stressor Help

Rate this question

Fire Courage

Question

I need a little help. I don't know if any of these are stressors or if the VA will consider them stressors!

Stressor 1. When I was in the Navy during Operation Desert Storm, I saw dead Iraqi soldiers floating by our ship. One of them was even decapitated. 18 years later I can still visualize those images and it makes me nervous. I don't know how I can prove that I saw this though.

Stressor 2. During the war, the USS Tripoli and the USS Princeton were both struck by mines. Our ship was operating in the same area when those ships were damaged. During that same time, our ship also located and destroyed 3 mines by attaching 10 lbs of C-4 to them. I have the mines being detonated by our ship on tape. We operated out of Mine field 5 for 12 consecutive days. It was terrifying!

Stressor 3. Don't know if my skin disorder can be considered. I'm service connected for it. Its a full body skin rash. I only wear long sleeves and long pants. I no longer go swimming with my family because of how much attention and questions the rash bring. I'm very conscious of it and it bothers me a lot when others notice it. Some people even think I'm contagious.

Could either of these be considered a stressor?

Thanks

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I need a little help. I don't know if any of these are stressors or if the VA will consider them stressors!

Stressor 1. When I was in the Navy during Operation Desert Storm, I saw dead Iraqi soldiers floating by our ship. One of them was even decapitated. 18 years later I can still visualize those images and it makes me nervous. I don't know how I can prove that I saw this though.

Stressor 2. During the war, the USS Tripoli and the USS Princeton were both struck by mines. Our ship was operating in the same area when those ships were damaged. During that same time, our ship also located and destroyed 3 mines by attaching 10 lbs of C-4 to them. I have the mines being detonated by our ship on tape. We operated out of Mine field 5 for 12 consecutive days. It was terrifying!

Stressor 3. Don't know if my skin disorder can be considered. I'm service connected for it. Its a full body skin rash. I only wear long sleeves and long pants. I no longer go swimming with my family because of how much attention and questions the rash bring. I'm very conscious of it and it bothers me a lot when others notice it. Some people even think I'm contagious.

Could either of these be considered a stressor?

Thanks

Do you have any Psych treatment records in-which you mention these. I think the first two are workable for PTSD if you see a psychiatrist or psycholgist, state these two incidents and establish treatment records. As for the skin condition definately , but for depression. Because you mention a direct connection between the SC skin condition and the affect it has on your family. This can have a profoundly negative impact on you emotionally especially if you have small children. I would do the same as above seek out treatment. However, you can only be rated for One psych diagnosis, even if you have several they only rate the highest one.

Good luck,

Bergie

Do you have any Psych treatment records in-which you mention these. I think the first two are workable for PTSD if you see a psychiatrist or psycholgist, state these two incidents and establish treatment records. As for the skin condition definately , but for depression. Because you mention a direct connection between the SC skin condition and the affect it has on your family. This can have a profoundly negative impact on you emotionally especially if you have small children. I would do the same as above seek out treatment. However, you can only be rated for One psych diagnosis, even if you have several they only rate the highest one.

Good luck,

Bergie

I have mention stressor 1 (Dead bodies) with the psychologist. Its even in my records. I have never mention the stressor 2 (mines), but I have it on VHS from a ship's video.

I think stressor #2 might be good if you can prove it.

Okay. How might I prove it? Do you think the ships tape which talks about us being in Mine field 5, shows us detonating mines, and talks about the other ships near us being hit by mines will be evidence enough?

Thanks

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
Okay. How might I prove it? Do you think the ships tape which talks about us being in Mine field 5, shows us detonating mines, and talks about the other ships near us being hit by mines will be evidence enough?

Thanks

Just the thought of being on a ship with mines blowing up nearby is some scary stuff.

Some of the elders here probably have better advice than me, but I think evidence is evidence. Don't send the original tape. Send them a copy and make sure you keep a copy in a safe place. Also, is there a chance that you can get a buddy letter to go along with it?

If you have not already, request a copy of your military service records. There might some good information in there too.

Did you get a Combat Action Ribbon? I have heard the crews of the ships in the northern part of the Gulf at the time were all awarded a Combat Action Ribbon based on the mines. If so, you will not have to prove a stressor.